Pumps heating tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, something is very wrong. My house ranges from 68-70 degrees. My tank has been pretty stable at 72-73 for weeks since I lowered the temperature for seahorses. All of a sudden things are going flaky. Over the past week, the temperature has slowly climbed to 77. It is still 68-70 in my house and the heater is unplugged. I've got 2 maxijets for flow and a MAG 9.5 as a return. Could something wrong with one of these pumps shoot temps up 4 degrees in a matter of a few days? I've read about Mags getting hot but 4 degrees?

Are there any pump alternatives to the Mag (the chief suspect right now) that throw less heat. 77 is going to be a problem and I really need to get it down.

- Skins

You are probably correct on the Mag. Micah uses one to premix his water and says the pump heats up the water, so that he doesn't have to use a heater. Can you get a fan and blow it across the top of the tank. I had problems getting my 125G below 82. I used a floor fan, set on the timer with the lights, now it stays stead at 78-79 degrees.

Well, I could, but the issue is that it stayed at 72 for weeks, so I really don't think it's necessary. We have central air so the house itself stays pretty steady. I think if I replace the Mag with a pump that throws less heat, I might be okay. In fact, I had to crank down the 9.5 because it was just to strong - so, I don't even need that much return.

I'm so stupid....I just remembered that I use a Quietone pump to mix salt in my basement - I could probably swap them out if the QuietOne has the right flow (I don't remember which one I have). Does anyone have experience with QuietOne pumps and heat issues?

That sounds like a possible solution, although, I can't give any advice on that brand.

What sized tank is this for? I mix my SW in a 30 gal can and with the 9.5 pump submerged and the heat from the pump does kick it up steady around 78-79 degrees. Mag pumps can be plumbed externally also which drastically reduces the temp rise IME. Switching pumps might help depending on how hot your other pump gets.

A clip on fan will do wonders for your tank also if you dont take care of the pump problem.

It's a 110 tank with about 30-40gallons in the sump/fuge. It hit 77 for the first time this morning, which is way too high for where I want it. I'm going to unplug the return pump for a while tonight and see how the tank temperature reacts. I guess it is possible that it's my maxijets too. I really want to avoid the fans if possible only because I really think it is. I'm just baffled how all of a sudden....no equipment has changed and it's up 4 degrees. It's just strange.

Haha, funny if my thermometer was bad :)

no equipment has changed and it's up 4 degrees. It's just strange.
Have you cleaned ALL your pumps lately? Being dirty will cause them to put out more heat than usual, combining for a noticable increase overtime.

Back
Top Bottom