Pure Ammonia in Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone I have a few questions. I am setting up my 12 gallon Nano cube in a few days and am using Dr Tims one and only plus Live Rock to cycle it in a short amount of time. I am wondering if I should add pure ammonia to it to help the cycle, and if so what ingredients should be on the bottle, like only Ammonia, or anything else. Also if I dont use Ammonia would I be able to add fish immediately right after putting One and only in? Thank You!!

I would suggest you not use any bottle cycle shorteners as they don't actually cycle your aquarium the right way. Just add pure ammonia and let it cycle naturally.

Ok but can I find any use for the One and Only becuase I hear it works really well. And should I combine the ammonia with the LR?

I wouldn't use it, but if you want to, you can use it since you already bought it. After the tank has been completely setup, you add about 4ppm of ammonia.

Ok and (I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, it just kinda confusing) over the weeks at what levels of ammonia should I need to add more?

No, don't be sorry for asking questions lol. You only dose ammonia once in the beginning, then when ammonia/nitrite levels are at 0, and you have nitrates, dose about 4ppm of ammonia once more, and if the ammonia and nitrite are at 0 in about 24 hours, you do a big water change and get the nitrates to about 10ppm and you're ready for fish.

Ok Thank You :) and I dose 4 ppm in the beginning? and I saw Ammonia at the store and the ingredients were: Water, Ammonia Dioxide, and some other ingredient starting with S im sorry I forgot wat it was but is this adequete so far?

Yes, 4ppm in the beginning. The ammonia you saw won't be good. It needs to be pure ammonia and water only. An alternative would be to just put in a raw shrimp and let it decompose.

Ok and if I do use the raw shrimp, how will I in a manner of speaking dose more? Will I need to?

Ok I see so once all the Ammonia and Nitrites are gone, and I do a water change for the Nitrates I am ready for fish. Thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom