Purigen, Purigen EVERYWHERE!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I constructed myself a media reactor for Purigen using a long water bottle and a few other things I had laying around. It works/worked great and I had it in my DIY hob overflow/siphon box. It's been working wonderful for about ten days or so. Today I noticed that there was no flow going through it. Upon checking it out I discovered that the silicone seal I made (used a small funnel siliconed into the cap of the bottle covered with mesh) had come loose and it slipped down, releasing Purigen into the overflow box, and some of it had been sucked up by the pump.
Those little beads will stop an impeller on a dime!
So as I was carefully taking the assemblage out, it shifted and more Purigen poured out!!!:eek:

Man that stuff flows like water and gets EVERYWHERE......
so now I have about a half inch layer of Purigen in the bottom of the siphon box, and the filter sleeve in there is literally covered with it. :(
Luckily it either sinks right down into the substrate or floats and is quickly picked up by the skimmer, and the fish don't eat it. (yes, some got in the tank)

So word of warning for you users of Purigen, handle with care, that stuff gets EVERYWHERE!

it's even in my keyboard :(

Oh no :(

Did you set it up again? Any pics per chance?

Keep meaning to try it (but only allowed a parcel a month which I've blown out of the water with dry ferts orders).

Back
Top Bottom