purple coral ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLbeachbum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a rock with about 5 different corals on it the other day. I recognize some of them, but there are 2 purple ones that I am not sure about. the first one is kinda leathery and now has lil sprouts comming out of the fingers with the center of the sprout a glowing green. The 2nd one is/was squishy. I think the LFS destroyed it when she was putting it in the bag. Any ideas what they are.

Also, I have a 3rd pic that i found when moving the rocks. There are a couple fuzzy balls on the rock. Thanks in advance.

#1- Pachyclavularia violacea, Green Star Polyp

#2- Parazoanthus axinellae, yellow polyps.

#3- Need a clearer image. I don't think it's a colonial worm.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the replies. Now that I look at the pic#2 the camera didnt focus on what I wanted Unless I am mistaken and the Yellow polyps have a purple mat. I will see if I can get better pics of those. Thanks again.

FLbeachbum said:
Unless I am mistaken and the Yellow polyps have a purple mat.
No they don't. If you have the software, circling the area needing the ID where there is a group of corals/animals makes it easier. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Star polyps have the purple mat and the yellow polyps are encrusting. Star polyps will spread pretty quickly, given favorable conditions. Are these the neon?

Back
Top Bottom