Purple sea slug missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inevitable_101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently got a purple sea slug and it is now missing.I have had
It for about 1 week and I haven't seen it and can't find it for the past 3 days.Is this common of slugs to not come out at all for this long?I just have
A clown fish and a hermit crab.

I agree, can you give us the scientific name?

Hmmm, some nudis have very specific diets and when their food source is gone they can starve.
Here is a little tidbit for your reading:
The Sea Slug Forum - Hypselodoris bullocki
If this is the same kind, it may have perished. I'm sorry for your loss if this is the case, since they are such beautiful animals.
Hint, hint....Ask here before buying....We give advice for free....the LFS is in it to make money.

Chromodorid, yes, but more specifically Hypselodoris bullocki and needs sponge to feed upon and live. They also seem to be particular about what type of sponge. Check any overflows, intakes, filters, etc. since they are easily caught in such.

Edit: You beat me Scott *waves fist* XD

So I still haven't seen the slug.Today I bought 4 turbo snails to help with cleaning and an hour later I saw my hermit crab eating 1.I am now thinking that he ate the slug,I know that hermit crabs eat the snail for shells but this snail was not that big it was smaller then the crab.

How old is your tank?
How did you acclimate the snails?

tank is 3 weeks old.
I did acclimate putting them on top of the water for 15 min and then adding 1/4 part of the tank water to the bag.

Update:The crab has transfered over the anemone over to the new shell.

If the hermit wants the shell, it will have the shell, unfortunately.

Have you tried checking after lights out for a few hours?

If not I would venture to say the slug didn't make it. Like said, they aren't very hardy creatures.

Hopefully it's just hiding from you. :)

I went back to the lfs where I bought the slug and to my surprise they dont have anymore.Maybe they died?they had them in just sand and I also noticed many dead fish.I guess ill just be buying supplies from them because they are close to me but im doubtful about they live stock.

That is part of their behavior. I'd remove the hermit crab since snails provide better clean-up care.

Back
Top Bottom