purple smooth thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmm maybe. its really smooth, like waxy almost feeling and is almost completely flat on the rock. either way it's pretty and i like it whatever it is :lol:

Yes, I've had sponges start like that. It will eventually show pores. If not, I have no idea, but as you said, it's pretty.

Actually looks like the matting from a GSP??

Cheers
Steve

I have pink star polyps and the matting is neither waxy or smooth. Also, the pic looks sorta opaque to me. Are the GPS's so different from the pink?

Fluff said:
Are the GPS's so different from the pink?
I've never seen a pink star polyp so I have no way to say. The GSP has a purple base (matt) as a rule and will be smooth when it first extends outward growing new tissue. Only once it gains ground will it grow actual polyps.

Cheers
Steve

pink stars

Here is a pic of my pink stars. The settings are off on my camera and I don't know how to fix it so the pic is blurry but you get the idea. Sorry to have detoured on your post mle421. I was curious. :D

Not a GSP in the truest sense unless the picture quality is deceiving. It looks more like a species of Clavularia than Pachyclavularia violacea aka Green Star Polyp.

Cheers
Steve

The picture is very deceiving. What I have looks exactly like a GSP only it's pink/brownish in color. I did a search on clavularia and pachylcavularia violacea. What I found was that GSP's are often labeled as Clavularia ( Briareum ) viridis. (first link, about half way down) I also found brown and silver star polyps (like mine) listed under the name pachyclavularia. (second link about half way down). Eric Borneman's book has mine listed as pachyclavularia sp. (star polyps)as opposed to pachyclavularia violacea. Interesting.

Again, sorry mle421. We are always learning right? :D Please update this thread some time. I'd love to see how it turns out.

http://www.masla.com/coral/colonialpolyps.html

http://www.picsbase.com/james/?catID=91&offset=15

Fluff said:
Eric Borneman's book has mine listed as pachyclavularia sp. (star polyps)as opposed to pachyclavularia violacea. Interesting.
Corals from the same genus often end up with the "sp." instead of a proper species name. They can be quite similar but not the same.

Cheers
Steve

Ok Steve. Thanks. :)

mle, it's been two days since your original post. Any change in appearance?

no not really, right now theres a aspastia (spelling) growing right next to it, im hoping that the peppermint shrimp i got last night will take care of it, but it might be too big already. i might have to go get some "joes juice" but i'm worried that it will hurt whatever the purple thing is. any suggestions?

I've never had apstasia but, don't you administer joe's juice with a needle? If so, I doubt you'd have to worry about getting any on the purple thing.

i dont know how i'll be able to stick it with a needle though, they, pull so deep into the rock when i get near them even with a net! im gonna have to do something though, i have about 20 of them! only 4 are big though, and hopefully the peppermint shrimp will take care of the little guys :lol:

Joe's Juice does not need to be injected. Simpley use the applicator provided which is a needleless syringe. All you need do is administer the "juice" over the aips so it gets in it's mouth. It will literally melt on the spot.

It will not affect the purple bit if a soft coral species. Not sure how it would fair with a sponge but my guess would be not very well. The juice would most likely clog the pores of the sponge causing necrosis.

Cheers
Steve

hmmm. what about lemon or lime juice? i think i read somewhere that they have the same effect as joes juice. any idea whether that's true?

Personally I have never tried that method but from what I understand it does not work unless they are actually injected with a needle at the base.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom