Purple Spots !!! 2nd (Picutres)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChelseazFishiez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OKay, so I previously posted a thread called ''Purple spots'' and explained the problem there, but you guys said it was coraling, so how do i fix it? And here are some pictures and also, there a green stuff growing out of the purple spots... The green stuff are growing on the glass too now :(

all the plants are fake.

purple spots on the sand...

the green stuff....

more prple

please help!!!

Looks like cyanobacteria or diatoms along with some hair algae or something. As for fixing it, welcome to the club!;)

There will be a lot of suggestions for fixing it, but it will be a long bumpy path coming. :(

I dont know if you are using RO/DI water, but I would start if not. I have a diatom+cyano problem as well. Maybe try looking into a refugium for macro algae. I am in the process of building a mini refuge to see what happens.

Matt

it def looks like red slime i have used a product called chemiclean -red slime remover- it was 20 bucks and worked well... you have it in your water for 2 days and need to make sure you take any carbon filter out and turn off the skimmer. It did not harm any of my corals or fish

do you have any powerheads or a return pump flow? A lot of times cyano will show up in low-flow areas. Increase the flow in the area and the cyano will disappear...usually into your skimmate. The green looks like the start of hair algae. Some snails or hermit will take care of the small stuff, but you'll either need a tang or manual removed for the big stuff......and it gets big very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom