Pursuade me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I agree meegosh.

I was offered all the best spec stuff in various shops. And I aimed for the middle. My soil and lights was what I spent out for and even the lights I got on a budget. I googled ada soil first and it had good reviews so bit the bullet and I stand by it lol.

I was told to get stuff like £300 for one years pressurised co2 and external filters with sumps etc I couldnt afford and since found out through experience I dont need. Also the rocks and wood cost a fortune in shops so I sourced my own. I checked and it saved me about £80.

Well I'm thinking I probably just want a tank with a few cheaper plants. I don't wanna go all out especially cause this is my first time. I just heard having plant helps with nitrates, helps make the fish happier and above all helps make the fish healthier.

My lights. I run 4 ATI 24 watt bulbs. 2 blues. 1 aquablue special, and 1 purple plus. Idk what they'd do for freshwater but I can grow any type of corral under them.

I Don't really want to go all out if I can do a much simpler and cheaper tank with a few plants that will still make my fish happier and healthier.

sedgy90 said:
I have got to be honest thats gone over my head lol. BB? I rarely need to clean my filter as the water so far has been great. I check it when I change water but it never needs it.

Its really daft but that vid convinced me to aquascape. I never thought it was possible for a novice but I did it and am 100% glad I did. U learn so much so quick.

So BB stands for beneficial bacteria. So I have to cycle my tank with an ammonia source after it's up and running, correct? Where does the beneficial bacteria stay? How does the tank stay from going through a huge cycle every time I add a fish? Also while were talking about it, how do I go about cycling a freshwater tank. I'm guessing the same way as a saltwater one? And how many fish do you add at 1 time?

Honestly I dont use c02 in my tank and I have lots of different plants. They do rather well and its pretty heavily planted. I just use some black sand I got from petco and I have only had problems with a few stem plants but nothing major. Dont get too overwhelmed with the idea of plants its really not too hard and like I said I can not dish out hundreds of dollars for c02 and my plants are all green and alive haha. But yeah for the most part all the bb is on the filter media and when it gets too gross just rinse it in some old tank water not new as you are probably aware it will kill all the bb. But what I did was just bought plants that I liked threw them in my tank and waited to see what happened and if any died haha good advice right?? hehe :) Basically just see what works for you and your tank and dont get too ovewhelmed! I also add flourish comprehensive once or twice a week and all seems pretty well!! sorry for being so long! :)

Also as for how many fish to add at once...I have been able to add up to 7 of smaller fish like neons or harlequin rasboras with no problem at all...If they are bigger I would say only a few at a time.

You just made all this complicated stuff sound soooo easy! Your my new beat friend :) lol!

Haha I hope that was towards me being your new best friend! :) Dont get discouraged if you lose some plants. Theres a few plants I cant keep and Im not sure why but there are so many different types of awesome plants that I am sure you will be able to grow! I dont think you will regret getting a freshwater tank! :)

Yes it was :) and thanks :) right now I'm still waiting to be able to empty this tank but then I'll definitely be starting up a freshwater :)

Also I recently added some neon tetras to my planted tank and everyone I have talked to was against them but I went ahead and got some and I absolutely love the look of them against the colors of the plants and my black sand. I love the color they bring! Also I lovee harlequin rasboras and espei rasboras in planted tanks! Also a lot of fish in the pet stores wont have as good of colors but dont let that discourage you from getting what you like because once they are in a nice tank and not stressed their colors will come back and they will look much better and healthier! :)

great! i cant wait to start the freshwater build! :) ill probably re ask all these questions lol :p but whatever

So after lots of thinking. What do you guys think about dwarf puffers? I'd love to get 3 in there :) think I could do it relatively easily?

They can be a bit high maintenance IMO. Keeping enough live snails to keep their teeth filed down can be a task. I know a buddy of mine has 3 and he's always asking LFS for some snails he can feed them.

Also, they are so darn small! :)

I heard they don't NEED snails but I plan on breeding the snails in my little 2 gallon freshwater tank. And yeah they're tiny but theyre supposed to be pretty active and I love the fact that they remember their owner and like to see what's happening outside the glass. :) I can see the cute little fishy face staring at me as I'm standing outside my tank :)

I think there a there are endless possibilities with fw and planted tanks. you might like the planted filter. plants in your filter.
recently I discovered about it and I was amazed about how unique it is.

Wow. That sounds awesome. I'll probably be doing mainly easy to grow plants just because I don't wanna worry about my plants haha.

image-2956361551.jpg

Here's. pic of my 10 gallon planted dwarf puffer tank. All low tech plants and growing amazingly grant it amazon swords might be a little big but my little guys love them.

Can anyone help me find some lighting for a 5gal aquarium? I just want to be able to grow some easy plants. If you could post a link that'd be great :) thanks

Back
Top Bottom