putting tank back together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straick

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was filling the 10 gallon tank I have(used) to check for leaks when the sides literally pealed apart from each other. Thankfully I was doing this in the bathtub, so the only mess I had to deal with was one piece of broken glass.
I already found a place to get a replacement piece with the same measurements for about 15 bucks. Now for the fun part, how do I put this back together? I have several tubes of GE 100% silicone sealant, but don't know if that's the right stuff.
I know from previous experience with silicone that you need to remove ALL of the old stuff so that the new stuff will adhere properly(sealed fittings on an ice chest livewell I built for crayfish).
Also, what caused the tank seems to peel apart? It was about 3/4 of the way full when it let lose.

I know, a new tank would be easier, but a good friend gave me this one, and I really hate the idea of throwing something away when I know that there's a way to repair.
Thanks.

honestly, I can appreciate where you're coming from, but you can get a brand new 10g tank for less than $15 at most places. IMO, it's not worth the effort or the constant concern you'll have worrying if you got a good silicone seal.

I couldn't agree more. Every time I've ever had to do any significant repair on a tank it's "never been the same". Scrap it and get a new one!

Thanks for the input. I'll save the glass from the tank and just get a new one. Planning on setting this up near 2 computers and I don't want a leak. At least I knew enough to test it before use.

Back
Top Bottom