PVC glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once PVC glue dries is it ok to use in a aquarium?

PVC cement is essentially a mixture of solvents which dissolve PVC piping to form a weld between to two section of pipe. Generally it is a mixture of some PVC resin plus tetrahydrofuran, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone and/or cyclohexanone, all of which are pretty nasty stuff. If you think you can be sure the cemented joints are completely cured and all the solvent have outgassed, then it should be safe as all you would have left would be PVC. The question is do you want to take the chance.........

They do it with plastic tanks. I think I will do it and put it in my culled guppy tank and see what happens! Long term might be a problem, could cause a problem 6 mo. Or a year down the road

Just wondering what you'd be setting up that you'd want to glue the pieces together ? If it's submerged long term and gets the "nasty" inside I would want to take it apart for cleaning.

Just wondering what you'd be setting up that you'd want to glue the pieces together ? If it's submerged long term and gets the "nasty" inside I would want to take it apart for cleaning.

That's a very good point to make. I mixed glued and screw in parts with my plumbing for my saltwater tank so it could be easily taken apart and cleaned.

The solvent is quite safe for use. We can drink from pvc plumbing without any ill effects from it after all.

I was told by my supplier that pvc can leach chemicals in the short term that may inhibit growth of bacteria.in the filter, so kt chould always be flushed through. However, in my experience, it has never had any lomg term effect.

PVC cement is essentially a mixture of solvents which dissolve PVC piping to form a weld between to two section of pipe. Generally it is a mixture of some PVC resin plus tetrahydrofuran, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone and/or cyclohexanone, all of which are pretty nasty stuff. If you think you can be sure the cemented joints are completely cured and all the solvent have outgassed, then it should be safe as all you would have left would be PVC. The question is do you want to take the chance.........

:rolleyes:
Yes, it's perfectly safe.

PVC cement is very commonly used in reef tanks which house the most sensitive organisms we keep. If it wasn't safe we would see issues rising from the saltwater crowd.

Back
Top Bottom