PWC: what is the exact way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kct115

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to aquariums and I need to perform PWC's to help cycle my tank. Is there a correct way to perform one, or is it really as simple as siphoning out and refilling?

:welcome: to AA! :)

There really is no right or wrong way to do it. As simple or complex as you want to make it, your basically just taking water out and putting it back in. I use a siphon.

Good luck! (y)

yep - it is really that easy.

do you have fish in there??

OK, what you need to do is use your siphon to empty about 50% of your water (turn off all your filters and heaters while you do this)
now, drop in as much prime (or whatever dechlorinator you are using) for the amount of your tank. so if you have a 20 gallon tank, dose for 20 gallons.
now hook up your siphon to you your sink (or in your bucket if you are using buckets) and temp match your water to your tank. you can use your hand to match. once they are matched add your water.

make sense?

+1 on what bruins said. I use a water changer. It takes alot of the hassle out of pwc.
The only things I consider rules are
1 When refilling make sure you match tempertures.
2 When refilling make sure you are dechlorinated water/ or in my case you add a dechlorinator such as prime or stress coat or whatever brand of prefferance is, I use prime.

Back
Top Bottom