PWC's how often???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL. Having an extra tank in use for a refugium, CO2 tanks, fert dispensers, RO units are all expensive extras that most people neither need nor want. For the cost of each of those things, I see another tank setup. So, while I see where you are coming from, and a high tech planted tank is truly a beutiful thing, it is primarily for the plants and the fish are secondary. Changing water is still the easiest, cheapest method of keeping fish in a healthy environment.
As far as plants as nitrate filters goes, hornwort is probably one of the best. You can see it's daily growth. Bulb plants aren't good nitrate sponges. Their quick growth comes from the bulb not from the water column. They don't really use many nutrients until they start to manufacture a bulb. Other fast growers such as Vals are also good. I have to remove 40 or 50 every other month from my planted tank, that does not use CO2, ferts, or have adequate lighting. Those plants go into our monthly fish society auction and help defray my costs, as they are definitely more profitable than (most)fish.
In addition, Malawi cichlids for example are better kept in crowded conditions, which necessitates large regular water changes. A planted refugium would probably have to be much larger than the tank the fish are kept in to be effective. I don't see a 150 gallon refugium as a practical option for a 75 gallon Malawi tank.

I dont do water changes either, I have an oversized bio filiter and plants in the tank. My readings are always fine. the only time I chage the water is once a year, to dilute the hard water build up from topping off.

Toxins... I'm not sure what toxins build up in a fishtank but I run a charcoal bag for a week every few months.

I dont remember the last time I lost a fish.

well ok yesterday one of my giant goldfish pigs slurped down a little oto that got in the way of his floating stix.

I regularly test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, ect ect.

I must have a lucky ballance, since all I have to do is vac up the poop and crud in the corners.

Honestly, I don't get regular water changes. my water is clear, I have healthy plants and fish, and the backside of the tanks have a nice film of algae growing on them.

when the tank finally balances out, why fix what aint broke?

I've tried the balanced tank thing before and it sort of worked. I've also upgraded my filtration to cut down on PWC's. But I finally found my best success with just doing 10 - 20 % water changes about once a month. More often if I've added fish and there is a mini-cycle.

So instead I just focused on making PWC's easier by plumbing a drain and a water line from my RO system next to each tank. Now PWC's are easy and the only problem is when I walk away from a tank that is filling (only happened once so far). :uhoh:

I think a balanced tank is only viable if you don't buy, breed, or regularly make changes to your tanks. That, to me, ends up being a boring hobby.

Here is an example of a heavily stocked tank. It features a school of Oreochromis esculentus, which are a variety of Tilapia. They are in a species preservation program in the Metro Toronto Zoo fish lab. It is believed that they no longer exist in this form in the wild. The tank is I believe a 180, although it may be a 125. Regardless, it is heavily stocked and those fish are all around 8". The tank is absolutely immaculate, and the fish are healthy. If you look at the tag on the tank, it has it's water changed 4 times per week, and is fed 10 tablespoons of food per feeding. Can't remeber the size of the water changes, but they are substantial. there are a number of adults in individual tanks, as well as a vinyl pool of about 6' diameter that house fish bigger than the ones in the picture.
Note the filtration, which is predominately ATI Hydrosponge filters.The plants are of course plastic, as real plants would probably be eaten.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 70
I agree with Bill. While having a tank stocked with plants is beautiful, it is not always feasible. Having another tank setup just to fill with plants to filter out nitrates is not of an interest to me. I would rather use the tank for other purposes. Seems like a waste to me. Nor do I have the space to set up another tank under every tank. I can not plant the 150 as the africans rip apart the plants and uproot them. Planted tanks are not for everyone or every fish.

true, to me once I got the tank looking nice and the fish happy, I leave it as it is and just watch the fish live and interact.

If you breed or have a large school or are adding/removing fish all the time, I can see where water changes would be needed.

I'd plumb the tank with a drain and an input pipe if that was the case for me. I have good well water and as long as its the right temp, it goes from the tap to the tank and the fish are not effected.

If you have to treat your water... a 55 gal drum and a pump would be handy.

Water changes are a necessity to most people due to the built up Nitrates. Unless you have plants, the Nitrates just builds up. Python works great because you don't have to pre-treat or have a place to store a drum of water.

I am doing about 15-20% weekly in mine. My tank is planted and not overly stocked, but just doing that bit of work with the tank once a week gives me time to really pay attention to what's happening with my fish and my equipment.. I actually think I'd miss spending an hour or so every weekend looking after my fish. I've noticed my tetras seem unusually active for a bit just after I do the water change as well.

Back
Top Bottom