Pygmy Cory Problems (C. Habrosus)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been having problems keeping pygmy corys (C. Habrosus). Every time I get them from a LFS, a few die. This last time all four that I got died and two that I've had for 3-4 months also died of what appears to be the same thing. They go into a 10 gallon planted tank (been up for about a year now) with a betta in it. I've never observed the betta harassing any pygmy. And I currently have 3 C. Pygmaeus that seem untroubled by all the tragedy around them.

1.jpg

C. Habrosus

I want to set up a 5 gallon bucket with some gravel/sand and a sponge filter that will serve as a quarantine tank when I get new pygmies. The LFS is the only place I have found that carries them. This last dying off made me think they aren't simply stressed, but rather are carrying some disease.

Questions:
Has anyone had any experience like this with C. Habrosus?
Will quarantine help keep some of the new fish alive?
Is there anything else I can do (Drip Acclimation for FW?) to succeed in keeping them alive.

Thanks!

I'll be following this thread with interest, since I want to keep c. habrosus, too. One question occurred to me: do you know if these are wild-caught or tank-raised fish at your LFS? (I think habs are being bred in tanks.) If wild-caught, they may be succumbing to the cumulative effects of stress when being brought from river to wholesaler to dealer to your tank.

I have no idea if they are caught or breed. They sell them fairly cheap ($2) and most wild caught fish tend to be more expensive.

They also get in large batches of them.

Started cycling a sponge filter a few days ago. Now I'm just waiting for it to develop some age and I'll try to quarantine some.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I have 12 in my 15g hex, very happy and have mated a few times too.. Although their tiny eggs are eaten by my betta .. Never had any problems with them . The bigger the community the happier they seem , when I had 6 they didn't seem happy, once I doubled their numbers they are so happy and out more .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom