Python Hose Kit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you buy a seperate declorinator. It a bottle of liquid and you add a few drop per gallon of tap water. read instructions on bottle. Ask your LFS. Stress coat is an example

Hello,

There's no mechanical or chemical filtration of any kind with that system, that's strictly for gravel vacuuming/draining the tank, and filling it back up.

Since most people's tap water has chlorine in it, you may want to avoid using the tap filling system. Either use Reverse Osmosis water (if you have a small tank you can buy RO water from a fill-yourself station at many grocery stores) or also you can just fill up some open-topped containers with tapwater, let them sit for a day or so and that will allow all of the chlorine to gas off.

Unfortunately if you have tap water there's probably going to be flouride in there thanks to whoever decided to start adding that industrial waste to our water supply. :(

Any way I hope this helps a little and good luck, I feel that Python makes a quality gravel vac and has good tubing so it would work well for a gravel vac.

LondonGman said:
you buy a seperate declorinator. It a bottle of liquid and you add a few drop per gallon of tap water. read instructions on bottle. Ask your LFS. Stress coat is an example
Yeah, I have that stuff and I add it to my water. But I get tired of toting big things of water back and forth. So, I wanted to connect a hose all the way to the other side of the house! :) But, I was confused because the water goes straight to the tank with the chlorine and flouride and everything else.

I was wondering... My boyfriend (who knows NOTHING about aquariums) said it would seem to make rational sense to add the dechlorinator to the tank as the water gets moved in. But it seems they would still get contact with the bad chemcicals. Who agrees with my boyfriend and who agrees with me? :?

If you don't mind spending a few bucks you could get an under-sink RO unit and attach your python to that separate faucet. Or you can also purchase an inline RO unit and hook it in the middle of your python.

That in my opinion would be the absolute best, it will remove most chlorine, pesticides, colloidal impurities, etc.

And all while it's flowing into the tank, like you guys mentioned. :)

Absinthena said:
I was wondering... My boyfriend (who knows NOTHING about aquariums) said it would seem to make rational sense to add the dechlorinator to the tank as the water gets moved in. But it seems they would still get contact with the bad chemcicals. Who agrees with my boyfriend and who agrees with me? :?

your boyfriend is right. That is apparently how they change water in the really large tanks where buckets are on practical. simply add the delorinator to the tank. Do not forget that tap water is safe for us to drink so NOT that poisonous.

EDIT: i am currently in the US at mo and the first thing on my shopping list was a Python as i cannot get one in the UK and i asked all those questions too.

LondonGman is correct. I wouldn't worry about it much if you are changing out 20% or less water. I would simply add the dechlorinator as I fill the tank up.

To put this in perspective though, there are many sites that suggest that the chlorine/chloramine is so diluted during water changes of less than 20% that you don't even need a dechlorinator.

Here is one: http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/water_conditioner.htm#top2

Here is the exact quote concerning water conditioner usage during water changes:

"We recommend changing 20% of the water in your aquariums and ponds twice each week. If you change 20% or less, you don't need to add water conditioner, but it's risky to change more than 20% even if you add conditioner. Only a worrywart needs to add conditioner when changing 20% or less of the water in your aquarium or pond."

I personally use a dechlorinator though cuz I'm a worrywart. :)

Awesome. This is what I was wondering. I will have to tell my boyfriend he was right. You guys have no idea what this will do to his ego!! Oh, well. I can deal. :mrgreen:

Now that I know this I am going to work on setting up a ghetto contraption so I don't have to pay so much for the Python. Right now the nearest bathroom to my room is 3 rooms and a 2 halls away. I will probably be looking into Hone Depot for a long plastuc tube to connect to my current siphon. Do you guys know if the Python uses anything special other than the connector piece to the faucet?

Thanks for helping me out so far, by the way!

Anne

I think i may be cheaper to buy a complete new Python as the sum of the parts is more than it.

I am on holidays in USA and for space saving in my suitcase i thought i would buy the parts to make one up back in the UK. Also there is a DIY article link posted around here somewhere. However i found that the parts costs more than the cost of a complete assembled python kit with all the paperwork and packaging and no stress.

Get your boyfriend to buy it for you. :p

I am on holidays in USA and for space saving in my suitcase i thought i would buy the parts to make one up back in the UK. Also there is a DIY article link posted around here somewhere. However i found that the parts costs more than the cost of a complete assembled python kit with all the paperwork and packaging and no stress.

Gman, you may well get stopped at security with that stuff! Try explaining that to the airport security idiots. better to buy it complete, as you said.

Absinthena,
Look at bigalsonline, they have excellent prices on different pythons. http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin...17.1065719717&inCatID=16:Maintenance&inSub=54

I bought one, 25" it is VERY convenient. That is how many specialty LFS fill and vacuum their tanks, and they add dechlorinator as they go. Python is a way to go. The ONLY inconvenience that I see is that every time you need to use it you need to remove the diffuser from the faucet and screw in the python's adapter, and then put it back, but it is easy and you get used to that, unless, of course, your boyfriend is handy and can install you a separate faucet under the sink cabinet. I also bought a hose reel and reel Python's hose on it - very convenient.
hope it helps.

LondonGman, I would have to report you to the security authorities because you are intending to carry a very dangerous Python 8O through the airport! Wow, I can see the X-Ray dudes looking at 50 feet of hose in your luggage! :lol:

As long as you put the Python thingy in your check-in luggage and not carry-on, there should be no problem, if it's just mainly plastic hose as I understood it :lol:.

:D I got it back to the UK but found the hose too short. i extended it and found the water tap needed another adaptor. So currently using my old syphon and bucket

EDIT
captainGregor said:
LondonGman, I would have to report you to the security authorities because you are intending to carry a very dangerous Python 8O through the airport! Wow, I can see the X-Ray dudes looking at 50 feet of hose in your luggage! :lol:
I can take that statement is so many different ways :D :D :D

captainGregor said:
Hey, London, if you need special adapter and cannot get it there in GB maybe you need someone to get it here and mail it to you? :?:
Thanks dude for the suggestion, but i can get it here. Just too lazy to do so. (y)

Hey, I just bought the python this weekend and it works pretty good.
It would work alot better if I had good water presure.

oscarbreeder said:
It would work alot better if I had good water presure.
Funny you say that, I got mine working and found that it was not moving the water out of my tank as fast as the old siphon and bucket. Also it was not lifting the dirt out of the gravel at all. The pressure in my home seems okay for my shower but maybe it is not enough for my python or maybe it is faulty. I dunno.

I got mine working and found that it was not moving the water out of my tank as fast as the old siphon and bucket. Also it was not lifting the dirt out of the gravel at all.

Found this to be true myself. My solution is to run the hose outside for draining/cleaning. It gets more gravity behind the suction that way. Obviously, apartment dwellers prolly can't do this, but it works for me.

Then I just hook it to the faucet for refill.

Hmmm, so does this mean I should not buy 50 feet python that has the tap on the 1st floow and the tanks in the basements? The water pressure at my house is good but will it be enough to suck up the water 1 floor level higher? (Does anyone use this?)

Apprecaite any feedback.

Back
Top Bottom