Python question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teshi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my python and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But I'm having an issue. Ever since I got it I've been getting ammonia .25-.50 I've been doing daily H2O changes, even sometimes 2x a day. Here's the issue. Ever since I've been using it I get no nitrates, just ammonia. Could I have killed all my BB?

Heres how I've been using it. I hook it all up and turn on the cold water and get the siphon going. After it gets going I unhook it from the faucet and just let it drain out into my tub until between 30-50% of my water is drained (discus tank). Then I hook it back up to my faucet and get the H20 temp right. I add my dechlorinator to the tank and then fill the tank back up.

Using a python shouldn't have anything to do with you getting ammonia. It's probably coming from your tap water, have you checked it?

I have tested my TW and it shows 0 ammonia.

I agree. It's probably ur water. Watch vacuuming too much cuz you could slowly be eliminating your BB. Also, why are u unhooking the faucet part once water starts. You don't need to. I use the python as well (awesome) and just leave it attached. Also, when its time to fill, just leave it in 'drain' mode until you get the right temp. The water will just flow from the python unit. Once you like your temp, twist the faucet part and start filling. Even easier. My sink is downstairs from where I drain/fill so the least trips the better.

Hm, how long have you had the tank? Was it fully cycled? DId you change anything recently (filter media, substrate, etc)? Do you stir up the gravel with the water changes? Something else must be causing the ammonia issue, I doubt it's the Python but you could try some water change without it and see if you still get the ammonia.

You probably wouldn't see nitrate from doing daily water changes so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I'm just worried I killed my BB. Nothing has really changed in the tank. I did add another sponge filter to get it ready for a QT. I do siphon through my subtrate but I don't really "stir it up" The tank was set up just after Christmas and yes it was completely cycled. I have been thinking about taking out all the subtrate and going with a bare bottom.

Also, why are u unhooking the faucet part once water starts. You don't need to. I use the python as well (awesome) and just leave it attached. Also, when its time to fill, just leave it in 'drain' mode until you get the right temp. The water will just flow from the python unit. Once you like your temp, twist the faucet part and start filling. Even easier. My sink is downstairs from where I drain/fill so the least trips the better.

I unhook it from the faucet and drain it in the tub because then I don't need to waste all the water it uses to drain the tank. I have to pay for my water =). I know I don't have to unhook it. But then I can also use my sink while change the water in my tank and get ready for work. Killing 2 birds with one stone :popcorn:

You could leave it connected but just turn the water off. Once the water starts the siphon, it should keep going.

Back
Top Bottom