Qt size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pbt that has ick. I don't really have a qt. I have a 30g tank that currently has 2 goldfish in it. I also have an empty 10g tank. I am thinking about moving the goldfish to the 10g and using the 30g for hypo. My question is, is the 30g to small for all my fish? I have 2 perculas, 3 green chromis, a coral beauty, and a foxface. The other fish don't have any signs of ick only the tang. From what I have read I have to treat all the fish and leave the main tank fallow 8 weeks. Will this be to crowded for all the fish for 8 weeks?

You seem to have your ducks in a row.

Yes, it will be crowded, and if the QT is not saltwater cycled, you're in for alot of water changes. Keep in mind that during hypo when you have less salt, the water can hold more air, which is one reason why saltwater tanks can not be stocked as heavily as freshwater. Keep an airstone or other air source going. The phycollogical stress of crowding is ok on a temporary basis.

I got lucky and found a friend that has an empty 55g that she is gonna let me use. Can I put all the fish in there or should I still put the tang in the 30g by itself? I have a hob filter with bio wheels on the main. It has only been there about a month. I also have some floss in my protien skimmer that has been there for a while. Will this be enough bacteria to seed the qt? I will put the hob on the qt. Should I also put the protien skimmer and the uv on the qt

I got lucky and found a friend that has an empty 55g that she is gonna let me use. Can I put all the fish in there or should I still put the tang in the 30g by itself? I have a hob filter with bio wheels on the main. It has only been there about a month. I also have some floss in my protien skimmer that has been there for a while. Will this be enough bacteria to seed the qt? I will put the hob on the qt. Should I also put the protien skimmer and the uv on the qt?

I'd leave the UV and skimmer where they are, the biowheel will hopefully be enough, along with starting with old tank water. Just check the ammonia levels daily for the first week, and feed lightly. You'll be doing alot of water changes anyway to lower the specific gravity.

I know that you are supposed to set-up your qt up with water from your main tank but that will be half the water. I have 125g tank but with 150lbs of lr it is proably only 100g of water max, so basically I will be doing a 50% water change? Will that hurt my inverts and rock?

I would put only 25 gallon from main and the rest new water. Try to put as little as possible from main because it will have free floaters in it. That`s why I say ony 20 to 25 from main.

Back
Top Bottom