QT tank placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I sent my QT tank up in my garage, but of course winter is rolling around and the 50W heater I got for it just isn't keeping the tank at a constant temp. Can I just upgrade to a bigger heater? 100 or maybe even 150w? It gets pretty cold at night and in the mornings so Im wondering if the garage isn't a good place for a 10 gal tank. The obvious solution would be to move it inside but I don't really have a place for it. I live in California so it doesn't get extremely cold. I am hoping upgrading to a bigger heater will keep the tank at a constant temp. What do you think?

The problem with most garages is that they dont have any insulation. I dont think that your heater can keep up with the drastic outside temp swings. JMO

Not sure where in CA you are, and what exactly "pretty cold" means to you! I guess the obvious answer is get a 100W heater and see what happens.

I've just noticed the same thing with my saltwater mixing tub in my garage up here in WA state. I've had to switch from a 50W heater to a 100W to keep the temp around 76 or so. With the garage in the mid-high 50s, a 50W heater just wasn't able to pump out enough heat.

One thing that might help is just throw a blanket or towel around most of the tank. That will at least make a little micro climate around your tank and provide some small bit of insulation. In addition sit the aquarium on something insulative. Styrofoam, cardboard, anything other than the concrete floor.

Back
Top Bottom