Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g_fish_jose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

I never used to quarantine my fish as the store I got them from was fantastic. However I find myself needing to do that now. I was just wondering how long anybody quarantines their fish for. So far it has been a week and everything looks good but I don't want to rush it just because I'm impatient

I'm aiming for 4 weeks. It's hard though. My current crop of fishies is at 2 weeks and I'm so impatient to get them into the display.

Most people will say 2 weeks is fine.

Last edited:
Hi. Apart from the need to quarantine fish for disease/ parasite reasons I also use the time to assess their general well-being and only add them to the main tank when they are eating and behaving as I would expect. Some new fish can be on the skinny side as LFS under feed to reduce their own maintenance schedules.
So, 2 weeks minimum if no sign of illness and really happy feeding lively fish, but longer if your gut feeling did that they need longer to settle.
A bit off subject, but I water change my QT from the main tank (not conditioned tap water) so that when the quarantined fish are moved across all water parameters match. I never allow LFS water into my QT and never my QT water into my main tank.

Do you always keep your qt tank running? If not, what do you do with the filter?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When QT not in use I add a little ammonia every day, just to keep it ticking over and do a 100% water change from my main tank before adding quarantined or sick fish. I only WC during this 'out of use' time if nitrates reach 80. Don't really know why.

Scot, when you use main tank water for a water change in your qt, do you treat water with prime? I ask this because of the nitrates and such.

I don't want to sound smug but my main tank water is always ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, Kh 6 & Gh 6 so I don't treat it at all before adding to QT.
That did sound a bit smug ....... Sorry!

Do you always keep your qt tank running? If not, what do you do with the filter? Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I keep an extra whisper 10 ($12) free running all the time in my 10 gal, that way if I need to fire up qt I can just take it and drop it on my 5.5 qt! Easy peassyy! Make sure you have a good heater too, just incase you need to boot it up to 86 for ich.

Hi. Apart from the need to quarantine fish for disease/ parasite reasons I also use the time to assess their general well-being and only add them to the main tank when they are eating and behaving as I would expect. Some new fish can be on the skinny side as LFS under feed to reduce their own maintenance schedules.
So, 2 weeks minimum if no sign of illness and really happy feeding lively fish, but longer if your gut feeling did that they need longer to settle.
A bit off subject, but I water change my QT from the main tank (not conditioned tap water) so that when the quarantined fish are moved across all water parameters match. I never allow LFS water into my QT and never my QT water into my main tank.

Interesting, though, then don't you transfer the Nitrates over, and don't get the full benefit of the nutrients in the fresh water?

To the OP, I do 2 weeks, unless like ScotJudd was saying, you're gut tells you otherwise.

Hi Fish4phil.
You are quite right, by using main tank water for my QT I am transferring nitrates, but only at 5, and I WC my main tank regularly so my QT mirrors my main tank. I WC 25% of my QT daily when I first get new fish in. I find that the stress of relocating fish from QT to main is therefore minimised.

Hi Fish4phil.
You are quite right, by using main tank water for my QT I am transferring nitrates, but only at 5, and I WC my main tank regularly so my QT mirrors my main tank. I WC 25% of my QT daily when I first get new fish in. I find that the stress of relocating fish from QT to main is therefore minimised.

Interesting technique, glad to hear it works! I've heard some fish (specifically neons and plecos) prefer their first water change in their new tank to be at least 7 days after acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom