Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishinstaller26

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is everyone's opinion on a quarantine tank for freshwater

I currently have a 72gallon community tank I'm looking to add fish to
And a 55 gallon with one jaguar cichlid in it

QT tanks are absolutely a must have. If you notice those who fight us on having QT tanks on here keep posting every few weeks saying "Help! My fish are sick and I don't know why!"

Look at it this way, would you rather do daily water changes on a 10-15 gallon QT tank to care for any potential new sick fish, or on your 75 gallon. I know I would prefer doing them on the 10-15 gallon. Most diseases you cannot see until the disease has infested the fish. By that time, you have to assume the whole tank is infected. That is why everyone says to QT a fish for a month before introducing them to your main tank, because even healthy looking fish can be sick. Hope this helps!

You can have a filter, but it is not necessary as you will be doing water changes once every day, or every other day. What I did is I bought a 10 gallon aquarium at Petco for $10. Then I bought a heater, a light, and a thermostat for it and for extra measure a small filter media chunk. Not necessary, but I also added sand so the fish felt more secure, and I put in plastic cups. That I will say is necessary so they cannot see across the tank. It freaks fish out if they can see across the tank because they don't feel like they can hide in a new environment. Here is what mine looks like. Keep in mind, I spruced mine up because it is currently housing my blind German Blue Ram. No filter, but I change the water weekly at about 80%.

Ram 8.08.14 AM.jpg

Ok thanks that sounds easy to do since I have plenty of extra 10 and 20 gallon tanks laying around

Option. I did it because I noticed the fish were trying to swim sideways when they saw their reflection on the bottom. BUT, is a bigger hassle when you do have a disease in the tank. Ich cysts can bury themselves in the sand. I have never had that issue, so I don't mind the sand. Also, my QT has been running long enough that there is BB in the sand. I also have a few plants in there as well.

10G is a good option for most of us for QT. I use a very thin layer of substrate because I and the fish think it is more natural. Correct answer is bare painted bottom so you can clean up the critters trying to hide in substrate. I sometimes use a couple plants to give the fish some refuge but fake is probably better. Live have to be pulled if you med the tank, which is a very good idea in my opinion if your fish source is sketchy.

All the sources I've ever brought fish are good and never had a problem
I'm just trying to figure if I set one it will only be used for a couple months until the tan is stocked then will never really need it

QT tanks are temporary tanks, not permanent fixtures. It is still worth QT'ing the fish. It is up to you, but like I said, once you have a disease in your main tank, game over.

Thank you for this link. I've been thinking over a QT tank as well and this answers a lot of my questions. I have one more though. What kind of paint is considered safe? And do I paint on the outside or inside of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom