Quaratine/Hospital Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many of you have a 2nd tank for the purpose of a quaratine/hospital tank?

It is a highly recommended item to have for a better success in fish keeping.

I currently have a 6gal tank & look to upgrade (I don't know what size to get...I have a clown loach). When I decide the size I will keep the 6gal as a q/h tank. Is this size good for that purpose?

Louise

With a clown loach you will be needing something big like 55 gallon or more. They get to be big fish, at least 8 inches long. The quarentine tank of 6 gallons won't be good for the loach so it will depend on what else you have the in the tank.

I absolutely have and use a QT tank.

So far I've been fortunate enough not to need it as a hospital tank, but I've used it a number of times as a Qt tank for new fish. Never know whats going on in most lfs tanks, and I'd rather not risk the health of my fish finding out.

As for a 6 gallon, its pretty small but will certainly work for now (as long as your clown or other fish are less then say, 4-5 inches; I wouldn't stuff it full of new fish either while keeping them in QT). Keep in mind it is a temporary set up; as long as the fish has enough room to move freely its ok for short periods of time, although I wouldn't keep a good sized one in there for over a month.

*edit*
Whoops. Meant to add I have a 10 gallon for the purposes of QT.

Thanks all for the input.

I only have a 6gal tank atm and am researching all info on a larger tank,
With a clown loach you will be needing something big like 55 gallon or more.
which will most likely be a 55gal + :wink:

My tank is home to 5 cardinal tetras and a clown loach. Measurements excluding tail: The tetras are no larger than 1" and the clown loach is no larger than 2" - all babies :wink:

I won't be adding anymore fish to this tank.

When I upgrade I think that this 6gal would be fine for a quarantine tank :p

Thanks again.
Louise :D

I'm curious about what some of the big fish owners use for a QT tank. I don't have one, my 5.5 was set up as one, but I've never used it so I just broke it down to try a breeding experiment.

I have used a giant drum trashcan as a quarantine tank before. I have lots of nishiki koi in a pond, and they simply won't take an aquarium. I kept them in there with salt and meds and treat them regularly for paracites in there. It works great for me.

I absolutely use a quarantine tank! I have well over 50 fish in my largest tank and I don't want to be treating them all due to ONE bad introduction...

The 6 gallon tank will be fine for your smaller fish like cardinals and really anything less than 4 inches or so for a short period of time.

All of my fish are very small (2 inches or less) and I have an old 1 gallon betta tank that I keep for quarentine purposes.

Obviously, it depends on the size and number of fish you get at any one time, but the 6 gallon would be a good Q tank.

Right now I have a 20 gallon Q tank. However I must admit that over the years I've found it difficult to keep a Q tank. Reason? Well, I'll set someting up as a Q tank, then it gets a bit of decor, then next thing you know, its a regular tank with full time inhabitants. :oops: Just can't seem to help myself!

Thanks corvuscorax

I know what you mean, I am afraid the Q tank will become a regular tank too!!!

Louise

I just setup a 135g tank and I'm going to be setting up a 10g or 20g qt tank. The qt tank was going to be a 29g but my brother wasn't paying much attention when he bought his tank a while back and got a 40g... he's not a very bright guy. anyways my plan is to just use water from my large tank to fill the qt tank when ever I need to use it then just use one of the cheapo cotton/air/carbon filters to keep it clean while I have something in qt. hopefully this will work out for my + it allows me to do water changes in a much easier fashion

as it stands right now it will be a 10g tank.

I am thinking about setting up a 10G Qtank. My main tank is a 20G standard setup w/lower end filter (different forum for the equipment talk).

What I'd like to know is if i'll have to set up a filter and aeration source for the Qtank. I would imagine so seeing as how medicating can take at least four days.

Now, when you guys say you use a Qtank for new arrivals. How long do you keep them in there for? Do you do anything like raise water temp or put any kind of anti-stress drops in? Or do you just let them sit there in a filtered tank for a few days?

Next, when setting up a Qtank, would it be necessary to do any type of cycle (fishless or otherwise)? My brain tells me yes, seeing as how you wouldn't want the ammonia creeping up on you in a tank that was hosting an already stressed new arrival?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will help some other folks out as well. Thanks for the help in advance, I appreciate it.

Concerned-Citizen

I would set up the Q tank as if it were the main tank, cycled, filtered and monitored for water quality.

About 2 weeks is a good time to monitor new arrivals (this is coincedently the same period of time my LFS gives on a health guarntee :wink: ) If there happens to be a problem with one of the new fish don't just keep him in the Q tank and transfer the others, you will risk spreading the disease (even if the others look healthy).

The Q tank should be set up so as to provide everything that fish need, including a cycled one. The only things I would skimp on in a Q tank may be the trimmings ie. over furnished. When I set mine up I will basically mirror my main tank less a few bits and pcs.

Keeping the Q tank at optimum water conditions is the only way to go otherwise what's the point in having it. I mean that it needs to be in top condition if it is meant to be used for quarantine/hospital purposes.

Cheers
Louise

Thanks, Louise! Good call on the requirements for the QT. My brain told me about as much as you did about what needs to be expected of a new tank. Thanks much also for the info about how long to keep new arrivals in the QT. You're a good guy!

Ryan

P.S.
I take it that one should medicate or otherwise treat all of the fish in your QT if you see a problem even in just one fish?

I take it that one should medicate or otherwise treat all of the fish in your QT if you see a problem even in just one fish?

Yes, once the problem has been identified treatment of the entire tank should follow until all is resolved. Treating the entire tank should include removal of carbon filtration so as to get full treatment from the medication and removal of biological filtration so as to keep the benefitial bacteria away from harm.

:arrow: NB.I have also read that once a Q tank has been treated and all fish have been transfered the Q tank should be cleaned out and sterilised and re-set up again. But I would like to get others opinions on this.

Louise

There are 2 diff ways to keep a QT/Hospital tank.

One is the cycled method. I happen to use this only because I keep buying fish LOL so I never have a chance to tear it down. In some ways its easier to have a cycled tank on hand; no major worries about ammonia/nitrItes, although you obviously have to keep an eye on it. One of the problems is, if you DO have to medicate with antibiotics, kiss that bacteria colony goodbye and you'll be left with an uncycled tank anyway.

Or, as some people do (and as I will once I stop buying fish LOL) you can tear down and sterilize the tank between occupancies. Yes, its uncycled; it usually suggested to keep an extra filter sponge in the main tank to add to the QT tank if/when needed. Then you just pop the tank into the closet and its out of the way till you need it again. While its in use, keeping a very close eye on water parameters is necessary.

As for adding things to the QT, I barely add anything. It's bare bottom with a filter, a heater and some aeration. I will put in some plastic plants or a ceramic cave if the fish needs it (like clown loaches need a dark hiding space to feel safe and reduce stress), but other then that, not a thing. Less to try and sterilise perchance thats needed. I don't add anything preventative; so far that has worked well for me. For example, I've put 3 clown loaches thru QT and they have all come thru with flying colors, healthy and no sign if ich.

As for quarantine time, depends on who you ask. My fish get between 2 and 3 weeks in QT before they go in with the others; some recommend a minimum of a month and I've heard of others who won't add fish until they pass a 6 week quarantine. Keep in mind, if anyone winds up ill, EVERYONE in the tank starts QT all over again.

Hope that helps :)

LOL Thanx littlelouie. If I can stop buying new fish and popping them into the QT tank I plan on doing just that LOL

I know that I will get a 50 or 75 gal tank and with full intentions keep the 6gal as Q tank but will stock it with cardinal tetras and have to get another tank to use as Q :twisted: It is addictive isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom