Question about algae eaters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirgeDevil

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so both my 10 gal and 16 gal have major algae problems. I have to scrub every surface in the tanks about twice a week. Everything else about the tank is fine... water quality, filter, feeding, etc. So, I was concidering buying an algae eater or ghost shrimp. (one for each tank) I found that there are pros and cons to both:
the algae eater-
pro: it likes to stick to the glass, thus eating algae off of it
con: they usually get pretty big...too big for my tanks.
the shrimp-
pro: they move more and don't get too big.
con:They don't stick to the sides of the tank. I heard they die quickly, and sometimes snap at fish.

Does anybody know more about algae eaters? If there are any mini ones? or what about the shrimp? your opinion? any other fish I can consider?
any information would be appreciated! :) thanks!

That depends on what type of algae eater you are going for. There are "dwarf" pleco's that only reach up to 4 inches, but they are far too big for your tanks. The amount of waste that they release would be too much. Instead, try to get to the bottom of the problem. Have you tested your phosphate level? Does the tank receive direct sunlight? Try increasing the amount of your water changes. For example, I do not have algae in any of my tanks except for the 150 gal. To keep the algae at bay I have to do large water changes each week (around 30% to 40%).

"I have to scrub every surface in the tanks about twice a week. Everything else about the tank is fine... water quality, filter, feeding, etc."

From your statement, your water quality is your problem.
Have you tested your water?

Dave

That's what I was thinking also Xzap. The phosphate level would have to be pretty high. Large water changes will bring this level down.

Some good smaller algea eaters I know about:

Otocinclus
Bristle Nose Pleco
American Flag Fish
Pitbull Pleco
Clown Pleco

Ghost Shrimp
Cherry Shrimp (Very good from what I read)

I'm sure the very experience will add to and take away from the list I have given you.

This in no way takes the place of fixing the phosphate problem though
This is correct. Chemicals should not be used to reduce algae. Simply doing more water changes at increased levels and reducing sunlight will work.

hmm, never thought abuot phosphate. the tank never gets any sun, it's not near any windows. so i'll check for phosphate lvls.

If you still want some "tank cleaners", I swear on Amano Shrimps. They are perfect for getting rid of most algae plus they are interesting to watch.

Look in the Fish and Plant Profiles-Forum, I've wrote something about Amanos there :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom