Question about calcium for ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aliray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I obtained 4 feeder ghost shrimp for my 10 gal tankabout 3 weeks ago. They were all doing fine and active till yesterday. One died yesterday and had not been dead long as it hadn't turned pink It was still the same color. I had to scoot one shrimp away as he wanted lunch, but I netted him out. Could not see why he died, how ever I watched and held him for a few minutes and their was no moveement. I know they moult and I have soft water and ph7.6. My water comes though a whole house water softener system. Two questions. Could it be a failed moult? Should I add a little piece of cuttlebone to the water? These are my first shrimp and their tankmates are neon tetras, glowlight tetras. and ember tetras. Any help appreciated. Alison:confused:

Wondering about the water softener...? Does it run through salt pellets?

Anyway 7.6 pH should be fine. That is average and many people can keep them in that.

You can purchase Hikari Crab Cuisine about $4. shaped like little logs or their Shrimp Cuisine about $8. like tiny dots. They have everything food wise an invert would need. Fish will eat them too and that is fine.

I use a Cuttlebone in my tanks whenever I have shrimp or snails.

You may want to check you KH/GH carbonate hardness / general hardness and see how it looks.

Do you have a outside water faucet which doesn't run through the filter? The minerals in the water may be good for the shrimp and alright for the fish. If you can get a test kit or just have it tested at the lfs, from your house water and from your outside faucet both. Then you could see if the parameters are good for shrimp.

Not sure about the salt based softener water for your fish tank.

Thank you. Good suggestions. All my fish seem to be doing fine. I will have to see if the fish store will check the hardness. And yes it does run though salt blocks. Alison

Most inverts would do poorly in artificially softened water. It removes the calcium and magnesium they need to maintain their shells, and replaces it with sodium, which they don't tolerate all that well. Most softener systems, if properly installed, leave at least one tap that isn't connected to the softener system. This is often the outside tap, but it can often also be the kitchen tap or laundry tub tap. If you can find a tap not part of the softened system, use that instead for tanks.

I grew up in a house with softened water, but neither the hose nor the utility sink tap connected to the softener, so I had no problem getting unsoftened water for my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom