Can I add ghost shrimps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AltVzn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning on adding ghost shrimps to my 10 gallon tank that has plenty of plants (not heavily planted though). It has one betta (twin-tail half-moon), 7 ember tetras, 2 mystery snails, and a nerite snail. In AqAdvisor, it's currently at a 75% stocking level with 99% aquarium filtration capacity.

If I add 4 ghost shrimps, it ends up with: 80% stocking level with 89% filtration capacity. Is that too much? Or can I push it one more time?

Also, I've heard about ghost shrimps ganging up on fish. Has anyone had any experiences with ghost shrimps (as a cleaner/stock)? If so, please let me know what you think about them. And if they're safe for/with the stock I currently have.

Thank you

I'm planning on adding ghost shrimps to my 10 gallon tank that has plenty of plants (not heavily planted though). It has one betta (twin-tail half-moon), 7 ember tetras, 2 mystery snails, and a nerite snail. In AqAdvisor, it's currently at a 75% stocking level with 99% aquarium filtration capacity.

If I add 4 ghost shrimps, it ends up with: 80% stocking level with 89% filtration capacity. Is that too much? Or can I push it one more time?

Also, I've heard about ghost shrimps ganging up on fish. Has anyone had any experiences with ghost shrimps (as a cleaner/stock)? If so, please let me know what you think about them. And if they're safe for/with the stock I currently have.

Thank you

I’d try for an amano shrimp instead. They help with algae and are easy to take care of.

The Ghost shrimp I bought at the store (Petco) are breeding in a matured, stable, very heavily planted tank with lots and lots of moss and Subwassertang and other plants. Plus rocks and DW. Shrimp are curious and will climb into the intake. So put a sponge over it, smaller intake tubes will fit a Fluval Edge pre filter sponge, and you can find a larger size online, and possibly at a lfs.

These are a type of FW Macrobrachium similar to Indian Whisker shrimp. Some people claim thebgotbtje monster shrimp which try to eat fish.

There are many instances of people seeing shrimp eating a dead fish and thinking that the shrimp killed it. And there are reports of people seeing a larger clawed shrimp grab and take down a fish.

My medium arm length Macrobrachium shrimp hang around the fish in the plants and might grab at the same foods but do not look like they are attacking fish to eat.

In addition, if people do not feed enough that the Ghost shrimp get to eat, and they are scavengers and eat meaty foots amd algae green foods, they will try and get a meal.

Sometimes an accidental large breed shrimp fry will get into the batch and it will be apparent if it's larger than 1.5" it might not be a Ghost or dwarf shrimp. Sometimes an Amano shrimp will get a little larger than that but it seems to me under 2 inches. Long arms also - they would be 2-3 times the size of a regular Dwarf shrimp.

If you are.looking at ghost shrimp as a cheap starter shrimp, you might just look for a local hobbiest selling common tan
Or light Cherry shrimp. Usually $1. Each.

Amano are easy to keep if you have a stable tank and it is a few months old, and couple months stable. They will eat excess foods in small amounts, and constantly pick at the tank substrate and leaves, rocks and DW. Eating and cleaning.

Bottom line is there are better choices than a Ghost shrimp which you aren't always sure what you are getting.

Back
Top Bottom