Question about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevermore52

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all...I have a new 30g hex tank thats been cycling for about 4 weeks. I'm starting to see little white things (algae?) on the glass of the tank. Is this normal near the end of the cycle? Thanks for any help :D

Hi nevermore,

It depends. What does it look like? White is usually bacteria vs. algae. Does it come off easy? Is it in slimy sheets, or lumps or what?

Its little white spots on the glass. I haven't tried removing it yet but it looks like it would come off easy.

Do you have live plants? If so they could be snail eggs.

Take a close look at them (maybe even with a magnifying glass if you have one). Do they have "arms"?

They could be Coelenterates (hydras). From what I understand, if this is indeed what they are, they can be a pain to get rid of, but there are treatments you can use.

I have 7 java ferns and some java moss...I did notice a little snail on a java fern leaf today. Can hydras develop this quickly?

yes. They can multiply rapidly, and hitch a ride on plants, or in substrate. Can you see any arms on them, or do they look more like eggs?

Here is a photo of some more developed hydra, and some small ones on the glass as well. Is this what it looks like?
IMG_2930.JPG

No they dont look like that...i tried taking a picture but its not that great (sorry im tired). Mostly little white dots and some larger sac looking things?

img_954020_0_7e5235eeb87575bcf56e26ff2531849f.jpg

hmmm, not too sure then. I am sure someone will chime in here soon with a second opinion. I doubt it is algae, being that it is white. Some kind of microorganism or bacteria more than likely. The fact that you have some live plants means almost anything could have hitch hiked in.

are you sure its not water spots on the outside of the tank that dried? lol it kinda looks like that to me :confused:

Update - After taking a closer look (with a magnifying glass :D) it appears that the little white things are hydra. I recently bought some plants so they probably hitch hiked on those. From the little bit of research that I've done, it doesnt seem like they are that big of a problem. I'm planning on making this a community tank but so far I only have plants....is there anything I can do it get rid of them or should I just let it go and hope some of the dwarf gouramis I get take care of them??

If you can take the plants out you can raise the heat up and use salt but this may destroy your cycle. Your gouramis will most likely keep them in check when you get them.

Back
Top Bottom