Question about filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zjovana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first purchased my tank a few weeks ago, I bought some extra filter cartridges because it said to replace them every 2-4 weeks. But people on this forum have said not to replace the cartridge at all. Is this true? Will I eventually need to replace it or do I just keep rinsing it off when needed? Also, I read that the good bacteria is on the gravel, decorations, in the filter, etc. So does that mean I am not supposed to clean the decorations? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! I'm very new to fish keeping.

You can clean the decorations But Do not do them all at the same time. I usually do one decoration every time i do a water change. With about 15 Decorations in my tank. I only change filters when the water wont flow through them anymore. I usually rinse them (i use the dirty tank water from my waterchange to rinse them with) and reuse them until they rip open and then i replace them. The rocks you should try to vacuum 10-15% When you do your water changes Some people say more some say less but this rule of thumb has worked well for me. Try to change 15-25% of your water weekly as well. And you should have a nice healthy tank.

I bought some extra filter cartridges because it said to replace them every 2-4 weeks. But people on this forum have said not to replace the cartridge at all. Is this true
ill ask you this. who do you trust more? the person trying to sell you something or the fish keepers?
Will I eventually need to replace it or do I just keep rinsing it off when needed?
if it starts to fall apart yes then you replace it. i have had some for years on my aquaclear hobs.

Also, I read that the good bacteria is on the gravel, decorations, in the filter, etc. So does that mean I am not supposed to clean the decorations?
shouldnt take everything out and clean it other then that you are fine. you should do gravel vacs sucking up the dirt it wont hurt.

Also, never clean anything with tap water. The chlorine in the tap water kills any bacteria you had. And also , be careful not to let anything dry out when cleaning , where as you will lose a good percentage of what bacteria you had.

Be careful changing the filter when you do , it contains a substantial amount of bacteria. I would suggest not changing the filter cartridge during a water change, just rinse it. Change it between. I lost a WHOLE entire tank because of a water change and replacing the filter. The tank went through a cycle again and almost all of the fish were lost.

Back
Top Bottom