Question about flame angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzafugasi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a flame angel yesterday, and he is in my QT right now. I plan to have it there for 3 wks. that would make my tank 3 months old. Right now i only have a clown. Tank is 55 gal w/ lr, 17 snails, 15 hermits, and some hitchikers. ph is 8.1, nitrites 0, trates 10-15. phosphates are undetectible. anyway, the fish looks healthy, ate at the store, and is very active. the salesman told me that unless i have a uv sterilizer, i shouldnt keep angels. is this true? i bought it anyway, and will be sure to closely monitor it while in qt. just wondering if he was trying to sell me a sterilizer. thanks for any input.

I don't see any basis for this. All fish are potential hosts for parasites, to the best of my knowledge Flames are not any more susceptible than others.
How much LR do you have? These fish love to pick at the LR. Also, I would stretch the qt period to 4 weeks just to be on the safe side. :)

i have 80 lbs of keys rock from liverocks. thanks for the replies...just one more ? my tank will be just over 3 months old when the angel goes in...i read that the tank needs to be "well established" for flame angels. what exactly is well established? 3 months? 5? 6?
Thanks again.

it depends on your algae growth. These fish like to spend their time picking at lr and the algae on it.
If he was eating at the LFS, no worries. He should eat prepared foods as well. Get one of those vegi clips from you LFS and hang some nori (seaweed sheets) for him everyday. Should do the trick. :)

i had a lot of algae on my glass and rock, the one on my glass is gone however. i still have some on the rocks, not as much though becuase my cleaners take care of it. i will def buy some seaweed for it. thanks.

As long as he is eating prepared, he should be ok. You'll see him pick at the rocks, a lot of times they can find stuff in the rocks u didn't even know was there. You may also wanna consider just wedging a sheet of seaweed between rocks or rubberbanding it down, so if he wants to pick the rock, it will be waiting for him!

Back
Top Bottom