Question about lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting new lights for my 46 gal tank. Not sure what I should get. Debating between halide and compact florecent. I don't know much about medal halides. Are they dangerous? That is the main thing that worries me about halides, general saftey. Compacts I'm worried don't have high enough light, but I like that they are safe, low heat, and energy effecent. Any thoughts on what I should choose? Any tips with medal halides? Also I've been looking at an inexpensive 150 w clamp on halide fixture. My tank is 38" wide, is this a good choice for my tank? I think the clamp would be perfect for space reasons, but I'm worried the light won't spread around my tank. Any advice would help!

Moved to the General hardware and equipment discussion forum.

I know several folks with halides. They just offer more intensity. If I was you I would check out the T5HO system. More intensity than PC`s. You`d be able to have almost anything in your tank with those.

T5HO, I have a regular T5, but it's only 24". I will definatly look into it, thanks. So are you saying I shouldent deal with medal halides?

T5 with highly polished parabolic reflectors produce enough light to grow just about anything. My understanding is that you don;t get the shimmer effect in the water that you do with MH (pleasing look kto many), but this can be accomplished by adding a LED strip.

MH create more heat in the water than T5s but penetrate deeper from what I understand. A 6 or 8 bulb T5 should allow you to add anything you want to the tank though, so it's your decision.
Find a fixture you like and ask for comments about it.
Lighting is not an area you want to get no-name cheap fixtures. Quality pay in this area.

Back
Top Bottom