question about LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockdawg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. New to the site and to saltwater. My tank is still cycling. It has fake decorations in it now I want to take that out and slowly add LR. I have a wet/dry filter w/Bio balls is it OK to run that with LR?? Or would I have to change my filter???

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Aquarium

You'll want to remove the fake decorations and bio balls. Fake Decor are a place for algae to nasty up, and BioBalls will be nitrate factory. What type of tank are you looking to have Fish Only or Reef?

I was going to go fish only. But now I'm thinking fowlr.

What type of filtration should I use for a fowlr????

sorry, but more questions. Are you planning on having a sump? I'd recommend an overflow box (assuming your tank isn't drilled) and as large as a sump you can fit in your stand. Put LR rubble and macro algae in the sump. I'd have enough powerheads in your 55G for good flow, and your filtration is done. 55lbs of Live Rock. You can start with mostly dry base rock (cheaper) and then a few nice pieces of cured live rock with some coraline growth. It doesn't need to be exactly 55lbs, if you have very porous rock with large surface area, then you won't need as much. I think the tanks look good with nice rock anyhow...

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom