Question about pH Test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am so very confused. I tested my pH and alkalinity and got the following readings. pH of 5.5 but my alkalinity is 180. I'm I just really confused?? because shouldn't my pH be higher than that with a high alkalinity? or am I just bonkers? Maybe I need to by new pH test, maybe its old or I flubbed up somehow when testing. I am trying to figure out what is killing my C patz and shrimp in an otherwise healthy tank.

thanks!

The "alkalinity" you refer to, is carbonate alkalinity, KH, and it is a measure of the bicarbonate and carbonate ions in your water. It is the "buffering capacity" of your water to resist pH swings. A reading on 180 ppm KH indicates that you have slightly above average buffering ability of your water, but it is in a great range, especially in conjunction with your pH. It is nothing that is going to harm your fish. I've kept fish in a pH as high as 8.4 and a KH and GH both well over 300 ppm.

Some invertebrates are sensitive though and need more particular environments in order to live. What type of shrimp are you trying to keep and what is a C patz? I know that Neocaridina species of shrimp generally prefer a higher pH and might not do so well at a pH of 5.5 and Caridina species of shrimp would thrive in that pH.

The shrimp were Tiger Shrimp so Caridina species and they all died after showing signs of lethargy. C Patz is the mexican orange Dwarf Crayfish, Cambarellus Patzcuarensis and Ive lost two over night and the remaining one is show lethargy as well and not looking so good. He seemed fine this morning but after a 30% wc he seems to have gone down hill. All of the inverts have been in the tank almost dead on a month and now this. I thought the loss of the shrimp originally was due to predation of the crayfish but now i'm not so sure. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, Trates were elevated after the ammonia spike last week from dying shrimp but I did change 30% this morning.

Tiger shrimp should thrive in that water. Do you have a well that you get your water from or are you on a city setup? Have you done a copper test?

bs6749 said:
Tiger shrimp should thrive in that water. Do you have a well that you get your water from or are you on a city setup? Have you done a copper test?

I'm in a city set up and I have not done a copper test. I need to pick one up. I did add a kordon product that is suppose to help reduce toxicity of copper and iron this morning. I'm hoping that will help until I get off work if he survives until then I will take the cray home and add him to my Cajun dwarf and red cherry shrimp tank and see what happens. As for the tiger shrimp I'm afraid they are all gone. I will check for any hiding before I go home. If there is Copper in the water wouldn't it have effected them before now?

It takes a while for the copper effects to set in. From reading over your thread in the unhealthy fish section, most likely it was the high nitrates that killed your tiger shrimp. 40 ppm is very high and I'm not surprised that they died. I would only keep shrimp together and not with crayfish in my opinion.

Can the one left be saved? I just picked up 2 gallons of distilled water and will change as soon as I get back.

I added 1 1/2 gallons of distilled water. I plan to take him home tonight if I can get him to survive the day. My well water at home is simply perfect at 7.8 very hard and alkaline. No nitrates or trites and about .5 ammonia coming out if the tap. In the meantime I will purchase a copper test as well as a new API master test and see if I can figure out what is up with this work water. I will carry water from home each week if I need to. He just tried to eat so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom