Question about setting up a QT tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gal tank that has cycled and now has no occupants (moved on to a bigger tank). I'm thinking of turning it into a QT tank just in case I ever need one.

Since it has already cycled, I would like to keep it that way. What should I do to keep the bacteria alive and kickin'? Would tossing in a few flakes or brine shrimp every now and then do the trick?

Right now I have been running it as it was, but with the lights off.

The fish have been out of there for about 5 days so I want to find out how hard it would be keep it going without fish in it. Otherwise I might just have to populate it with something else...

Well there are plenty of ways to keep it cycled. The easiest thing for me is to add extra sponges or filter floss to my other tanks filters. Then if a qt tank is needed just take that sponge out and place it into the other filter and you have all sorts of good bacteria. This method allows you to put away the empty tank and not be tempted to fill it with fish or have to think about seeding the bacteria.

Plus there are some treatments that will actually kill the good bacteria and if you are needing the qt tank for these treatments you don't really need a cycled tank anyway, IMO.

Others like to actually take the whole filter from the smaller qt tank and run it on the bigger tanks. This gives extra filtration to the bigger tank and can be removed and placed on the qt tank at any time.

I know that most treatments kill the bacteria, it's just that I remember what it took to finally get that thing to cycle...

I like the idea of using extra medium to hold the bacteria. That's probably the path I'll take...

Thanks

tkos said:
The easiest thing for me is to add extra sponges or filter floss to my other tanks filters. Then if a qt tank is needed just take that sponge out and place it into the other filter and you have all sorts of good bacteria. This method allows you to put away the empty tank and not be tempted to fill it with fish or have to think about seeding the bacteria

I second that idea, I too use it but not for qt tank but for fish fry tanks. All i have now done is taken out the sponge filter an put it in a lagre pastic bowl. instant new cycled tank. And while it was in main tank did extra bio filtation and minor mechanical filtration

i have one of these £3 jobs attached to my air pump. When i fix camera, will upload pic to my page
1201_BIG.JPG

good idea tkos!
what about this method? A lot of plants. Will that work? I have a lot of anachis because they grow like crazy when i put them in a bucket outside, so, i have a lot.

If you want to use plants they won't actually cycle a tank but will make life much easier on the fish as they use up the ammonia and nitrite as a food source. But you need to have fast growing plants, particularly stem plants liek water sprite. Root plants (like ferns) tend to look to the substrate first for food and stem plants straight from the water column. But if you use this method make sure to still have test kits and do water changes if needed.

Duckweed is perfect for QT tanks. It absorbs nutrients and grows super fast. I just try and avoid having it in my main tank as it does have a tendancy to take over and cover the surface quite quickly.

Back
Top Bottom