question on filter and cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
i wanted to know is it really true i shouldnt replace the cartridge as said on manufacture instruction monthly? should i only replace it when its totally falling apart ??? and another thing , later on i wanted to replace my filter to a filter made for a 20gallon ( i currently have a 5-15 aquatech filter that came with a kit i bought back in may which is a 10 gallon).i had replaced the cartridge once but ive read that its not good to replace it due to losing BB.is all this true and how can i upgrade my filter to a bigger one meant for a 20gallon without losing BB?

You don't have to replace anything in a filter unless it's falling apart or stopped working.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN IT!!!!!
You can keep your tank water from doing a water change and rinse and clean the filter in the old water.

If you purchase a new filter you can replace a sponge in your original filter. Keep the old sponge and cut it up or whatever to make it go into the new filter. This will help to "seed" the new filter with beneficial bacteria.
After you have seeded the new filter run BOTH filters for at least 2weeks. I would recommend 6weeks before removing your old one completely.

Something else you may want to purchase is a water testing kit.

Most of us here on AA use the API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT. This tests for the basic water parameters which will keep your fish and tank happy.

It tests for
pH, High range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
image-2874227616.jpg

Jon

Agreed. But since you are using aquatech, you want to mod your cartridges. Aquatech filter cartridges use carbon and many people say that these a bad for planted tanks and also become counterproductive after its lifespan. That being said, there is no real reason to use carbon unless removing medication. What you should do is cut open the blue sponge on the cartridge and wash it out in old tank water to get all the carbon granules out. Then either use the frame withe create filter floss or sponge or something andyour good. No need to replace!

Get a marineland filter. They have the Bio-Wheel and the filter. Bacteria grows on the cartridge and a lot of BB grows on the Bio-Wheel so when you replace the cartridge there is still plenty of BB left in the filter. IMO they are the best thing you can get other than a sump or canister filter.

Manufacturers and petstores want your money- they are business and the bottomline is profit. The filter media just simply needs to be swished once a week with a water change. If theres carbon, no worries either. The carbon simply becomes real estate for your good bacteria to grow on when it loses its efficacy. You can either leave it be or replace it with polyfill/sponge.

For upgrading, either move the media from your old filter to the new filter or run the new filter alongside the old filter for atleast a couple weeks, longer the better! :)

Back
Top Bottom