Question on Filter and Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

So I have a 46 gallon bow front and I'm running a Fluval 306 and just purchased a Koralia Nano 240. I believe this should give me enough flow, but I'm now doing some reading and finding that the 306 may be under filtering my tank? It's rated at 303 gph, but I see after adding media this number reduces. Even at 303, that's giving me 6.5 turnovers an hour, so I suspect less now with all my media added.

That being said, would it makes sense to add a 206 possibly to this so then I'd be running a 306, 206, and the Koralia 240?

Appreciate any feedback!

fluval 306 is rated for 70 gallons so it should be fine for your tank...that being said i run 2 cannisters in my 75 rated for 100 gallons each just because i like the water to be like glass and cut down on maintenance .

10x over i think is the consensus for planted tank i believe.. you can never have too much filtering

fluval 306 is rated for 70 gallons so it should be fine for your tank...that being said i run 2 cannisters in my 75 rated for 100 gallons each just because i like the water to be like glass and cut down on maintenance .

10x over i think is the consensus for planted tank i believe.. you can never have too much filtering

Thanks. I'm the same way, I want glass like water as well.

So If I were to run another canister on mine, what is the best placement of the outtake and intakes for both? one set on each side facing each other?

I have a Koralia Nano 240 coming today as well for a bit more flow.

When I run multiple canisters on a tank I do just as you said, place one on each end of the tank with the outflows pointing at slight angle towards the front and opposite end of the tank.

When I run multiple canisters on a tank I do just as you said, place one on each end of the tank with the outflows pointing at slight angle towards the front and opposite end of the tank.

Thanks again! I'm going to do just that and try to get the Koralia to hit any dead spots. I would think two canisters and the Koralia would be enough to get flow in all areas of my tank.

Last edited:
I'd say you have plenty of current and that is about where I use most of my PH's at.

Awesome. I don't think I'll need another filter then. It would be more like a rip tide I think haha.

A lot of the guppies though I see getting moved around by the current. Unless they seem unhappy it's probably fine right?

The guppy's might actually like it. I have several fish that will get in the current, get zipped across the tank, then turn around and go right back. Fish learn where currents are and will stay away from them for the most part if they don't like them.

Cool. That's exactly what they do. It's like they are on a roller coaster and they keep going back for more. I guess I am all set on the current aspect.

Now to treat these worms when the medicine arrives Tuesday!

I have a question on dosage but I'll PM you later on. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom