Question on java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Iv'ed had a few pieces of java fern for a few months now and the ends of the leaves are growing brown root looking things with smaller tiny java leaves growing out
I know it's how java fern grows but I forgot how the process goes on the new java forming can anyone help me on this?
Thanks

If it were me, I would probably let it do its thing. The little Javalets (not the actual word) will pop off eventually, and then you can retie them or scoop them out, depending on what you want to do.

aqua_chem said:
If it were me, I would probably let it do its thing. The little Javalets (not the actual word) will pop off eventually, and then you can retie them or scoop them out, depending on what you want to do.

Oh ok sweet I'll put it on driftwood
About how big and how many leaves on average will it have before it pops off?

Fishandmusic81 said:
Oh ok sweet I'll put it on driftwood
About how big and how many leaves on average will it have before it pops off?

I would say as a guess, maybe 4 smaller leaves?

I have some and the roots will look big like maybe 1-3" (mine are anyway) and looks like a scrap you should take out and throw away, but don't, it will have a tiny, TINY leaf on the end and that's what will start making your new plant.

There are about five from the mother plant and threw them into a "Goldfish" bowl, which will never house a goldfish, just some temporary plants and maybe a sweet potato tuber after the plants... I put them in there with the fish water so I could try and get them a little larger, was worried my Goldie might want to eat a succulent morsel. I first thought it was broken root debris and then found the baby. They are so tiny and cute.

The leaf they come from will have several babies and gets to be very unsightly.

Java fern leaves will turn brown when they reproduce, er make new plantlets. Let them have at least 4 leaves before separating but u can wait until they get bigger. I wouldn't remove brown leaves quite yet. Wait and see what they will do. The plant itself could be producing its own new leaf growth.

I love how these guys reproduce! when a rhizome grows on the baby ones they look great and can be separated and placed on their own; however I like keeping them attached so there are more than one leaf per 'clump'.

I wait until I see one or two floating around in the tank, and then slide them gently into small cracks and holes in my driftwood; making sure the roots are still around circulating water if possible. eventually they grab hold of the wood and then the hectic growing begins.

themox said:
I love how these guys reproduce! when a rhizome grows on the baby ones they look great and can be separated and placed on their own; however I like keeping them attached so there are more than one leaf per 'clump'.

I wait until I see one or two floating around in the tank, and then slide them gently into small cracks and holes in my driftwood; making sure the roots are still around circulating water if possible. eventually they grab hold of the wood and then the hectic growing begins.

Sounds great! Makes me wanna get more dw!

Fishandmusic81 said:
Sounds great! Makes me wanna get more dw!

they're extremely easy to look after. my tank at the moment had about 1watt per gallon and only 5 fish (8 gallon), and they grow beautifully.

image-1108615855.jpg

old picture but all those started really tiny and grew into monsters haha :)

themox said:
they're extremely easy to look after. my tank at the moment had about 1watt per gallon and only 5 fish (8 gallon), and they grow beautifully.

old picture but all those started really tiny and grew into monsters haha :)

It looks awesome! Can't wait for them to grow more now lol I can see 10 ends on the leaves all sprouting the new leaves :)

Mine came off from one of them, there were appx. 5 plants which came in a 2nd hand, planted tank. I never got to see them grow off of the momma plant. :(

Mine came off from one of them, there were appx. 5 plants which came in a 2nd hand, planted tank. I never got to see them grow off of the momma plant. :(

really?

what sort of light are you giving them? where are you keeping them in your tank? i hope you haven't planted them into the substrate. they get their nutrients from the water itself. if you give us an indication of your tank then we might be able to help out and see why the're not sprouting babies for you :)

I bought the tank from a lady who had moved and let someone else keep the tank, and she decided she couldn't take it back and the guy who was babysitting the tank never cleaned it, 30 long, planted into substrate of soil mix. It was completely neglected 2-3 inches of mulm, all green glass from tons of algae, all the plants were 1/2 dead, with the decaying plant matter piled high around them. Had duck weed on top too.

After cleaning through the sediment and dead plant materials, all the tank the water would stay nice and clear but the mulm gunk would sort of come out of the ground, and just hang there. There were 5 nice Java ferns sort of planted, tucked in and rooted down, but as I cleaned the tank over and over, more than 8 times, it never stopped sifting up and then I found out I had an allergy to blood worms too, and that tank was bothering by allergies, evidently left over blood worm scum left in the bottom so my friend bought it from me and is redoing it to black Diamond or reg blasting sand.

I only had the tank for two months.

I have 5 tiny babies I took out and saved from the mess that I had. Now they are resting with a nano sword and rooted Wisteria I also took out of there in a little 1/2 "goldfish" bowl, waiting to get planted and their light is diffused, not direct sunlight right now.

I am putting up a new to me 37 gal JEBO tank this week end, and get it cycling, I have a nice full filter pad to seed with, and I want to plant the plants, I will be putting the Java Ferns on rocks, I only have one driftwood and it has a JF.

I posted a thread in Equipment about the JEBO and the light and what I might need.

It has a hood with two switches two lights, one broke in transit so I will have 1 Blue Achidnid sorry don't know spelling, 10000K 55W, Mumma replied and ask me about it I couldn't answer very well, but it has a 4 prong two light, I posted a link so you can see what it looks like. Jebo says you need half blue and half of their white light out put for a planted tank. I think it may be exclusive bulb base, I have no experience with planted tank lighting. Please check it out and help me if you can, thanks! I will buy the other bulb, order next week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom