Question on Malawi Cichlids...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been thinking of making a change in my 55G, and was looking at some Malawi's. But currently I have some loaches, tiger barbs, and a 14" fire eel. Would they do good together with the loaches and barbs? My tiger barbs are getting closer to 3 inches.

I know of a few Malawi cichlid owners who have had success with clown loaches in their tanks. I'm not sure about the Tiger Barbs though...

The lfs here got some new Malawis. They had some a while back, but ran out and hadn't had much stocking til now. They have some Golden Malawi, some Yellow ones, and ones called Snow White Zebra Malawi, and also some Zebras. These are ssome of the ones that I'm kind of interested in.

The electic yelklow's (L. caeruleus) are about the mildest of the mbuna as far as aggression, zebra's tend to be nasty buggers when they mature. If the fire eel could live in the hard, alkaline water, it should be fine with the cichlids. Tiger barbs are sometimes kept as dithers, they should be alright. Most Botia's are fine w/Africans, particularly clowns, skunks, and red-tails. The striata's aren't a good choice to mix though, they have no clue about territories.

As for the fire eel, it's 14" and spends most of it's time in the Emperor 400, lol. It usually comes out at about 8pm and through most of the night. As for the loaches, I've got yoyo's, striped loaches, and skunk loaches. The skunks are very fast, and aggressive. The yoyo's are very playful as well, as well as the Striped Loaches. I almost forgot, I also have a rainbow shark and an albino rainbow shark. Any thoughts on them as well?

As for my water, the ph is about 7.2-7.4. Was thinking of getting some limestone to put in to bump up the ph as well. Or maybe just crushed coral in my filters. I have plenty of crushed coral.

Rainbow sharks I'm not familiar with. Are they related to the red-tail sharks? If so, they're probably aggressive enough to mx with yellow lab's. A group of 4-5 would be the best bet, preferably 1m/3-4f. Trouble is, they're almost impossible to sex accurately without venting. Males seem to be more common than females, apparently more male fry are produced. I have 2m/1f and 2 nearly mature juvies in my 55. The dominant male keeps the smaller one under cover a good bit, but no damage is done, and they all eat well enough.
A handful of crushed coral would do it, though I'd start with a few pieces at first. You don't want to raise the pH/hardness too quickly. It will only raise the pH to 7.6-7.8 in any case. Chances are the mbuna have been bred/raised in something pretty close to that.

Yes, they are similar to Red Tails, just a little less aggressive. But they can hold their own very well. Unlike the red taail I have in my 75G, the Rainbows don't bother the other fish, and only occasionally chase each other. But no harm is done, as the 55G has lots of room.

i have heard that people have success with lower aggression malawi cichlids and tiger barbs and red tail shark.

zebras are supposedly the most aggressive of malawi species.

clown loaches can go with africans great, from my experience, and i keep mine with peacocks. other loaches should be fine too. my work has a huge african display tank and they have some small loaches in there as well that are not even half the size of the cichlids and they do fine.

barbs, i don't know about though, i wouldn't risk it. you may want to find something else to do with them. african cichlids do better with more african cichlids too AFAIK

zebras are supposedly the most aggressive of malawi species.
I don't know about that. Zebras can be nasty, but I've heard that Auratus especially and some Kenyi are much more aggressive than Zebras. It probably depends on the individual fish because Yellow labs are not usually that aggressive, but I've heard from a couple people that have had some nasty labs. YMMV I guess. ;)

My Cynotilapia afra cobue are just as aggressive or more aggressive than the Snow White Socolofis (zebras) that I have and they are smaller. That doesn't mean the Socolofis won't get more aggressive as they grow, but the afra cobue are fiesty little things.

In general, the Melanochromis species (Auratus, Johanni, Chipokae) and the Metriaclimas (Kenyi, Zebra) seem to be the most aggressive. I've read more horror stories about Kenyi and Auratus than any other species.

I'm sure the loaches will be fine with the Malawi's. I have some in my 125. Not at all sure about the barbs though. They are nippy and I can't see the cichlids being good with that at all. It would all depend on what kind of cichlids you want to go with.

Still thinking about making a change. I'm sure the shipwreck will do well if I get them, lots of good hiding.

woukldnt the pH be an issues with the barbs and cichlids? i would think so.... i mean over the long run because there really isnt a mutual pH range is there?

Back
Top Bottom