Question on Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, this may seem silly, but I got a one gallon tank with a crowntail betta, I put some little plants in it. The lfs recommended putting it where it will get some sun, but I never thought about light. The tank gets light all day long and sun in patches as well.

I am wondering if it needs light if it's getting good natural light. It's a narrow tank and all the plants are on the back side where they are exposed to the sun.

The other question I have is: I set up the tank, stuck the plants down into the gravel and immediately started to notice a mild smell in the kitchen. I've since realized it's coming from the tank. It's very mild, but almost like cat urine. It's not offensive, but I'm just wondering if there should be any smell at all. FYI, the water is very clear, no cloudiness.

Obviously I've never had a planted tank, and this isn't really one, it's just a betta tank with plants.

The sun is the best light for growing plants. it is also the most difficult to control and thus people tend to have algae problems, if you aren't having algae probs. then that's perfect.

Just keep an eye on the temperature, the sun can warm that water pretty quick, then cooling can stress the fish.

As for the smell, cat urine is ammonia.. How often do you change the water in the bowl/tank?

I just set it up a couple days ago. I haven't changed any water yet, maybe it's cycling? I used RO/DI water. Should I do a water change? Also, I don't have an ammonia test kit for freshwater, but I do have one for saltwater, could that work? If not, I'll have to pick up a freshwater test kit tomorrow.

I've had betta tanks before, just not with plants. So this is different.

Could light it off a self-ballasted CF in an incandescent fixture (like a desklamp). Suggest you search for nano planted tanks. Here is TankGirl's.

Back
Top Bottom