Question on Purple Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comets55

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just noticed my rock turn Purple. I did some research and found out that Purple Covered my rock is Caroline Algae. It keeps spreading. Will this do any harm to my tank? Or benefit to my tank. See picture...thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• image-1098117756.jpg
    image-1098117756.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-883591183.jpg
    image-883591183.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 82
Most aquarists like it as they feel it colors up the tank and provides the benefot of absorbing some nutrients.

On the downside, it also absorbs calcium and can be difficult to remove from powerheads and acrylic. I tend to think the calcium it absorbs is minimal myself and I want it to grow in my tanks. I have a 37 where it won't grow and a 75 where it grows very well.

Ya coralline algae is a personal choice, some like it some don't. Personally I like the look of it on the back of the tank but when it impedes viewing it has to go.

kdpuffer said:
Ya coralline algae is a personal choice, some like it some don't. Personally I like the look of it on the back of the tank but when it impedes viewing it has to go.

^^^^^ I agree. It looks good on the back of my BC29 but when it gets on the glass off it comes. And then it gets all over your power heads and then you have to clean them. So be careful what ya wish for ;)

Back
Top Bottom