Question please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frickmiester

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so can some one explain to me the cycle I mostly get it but why is ammonia in water with a ph below 7 less toxic then ammonia Ina tank with a ph above 7? I guess NH4 is In a tank when the ph level is below 7 but NH3 is in the tank when the ph level is above 7? Why is that and what makes it more toxic? Any and all help would be amazing!

You know, I am not sure, but I have wondered that myself. I will be curious to see what people say.

From what I understand, ammonia can be present in two forms: ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4+), the latter being less toxic than the former.
pH is a measurement of the concentration of Hydrogen ions. I believe pH lower than 7 has a greater concentration of hydrogen ions than a pH greater than 7. Assuming this is true, then in solution with a pH less than 7, the excess Hydrogen ions can bond with the ammonia molecule causing NH3 to become NH4+.
Please someone correct me on this. My wife is a chemist so I guess I could ask her. We don't usually talk fish stuff but this might be an exception.

Also, temperature influences the toxicity of ammonia (higher temp, more toxic). Not sure why.

Thanks a lot that's exactly what I was looking for Imust have been misreading earlier but what you say makes perfect sence to me thanks a ton for clarifying for me

Assuming this is true, then in solution with a pH less than 7, the excess Hydrogen ions can bond with the ammonia molecule causing NH3 to become NH4+.
Technically, the Ammonia doesn't bond, it's the element N(nitrogen) that will merge with the element H+(Hydrogen Ion).

Technically, the Ammonia doesn't bond, it's the element N(nitrogen) that will merge with the element H+(Hydrogen Ion).

Sounds like fishtank fusion! Bring sunglasses.

I'm not seeing what the distinction is here. Ammonia gains an additional bonded hydrogen to become ammonium.

Back
Top Bottom