question re substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkrk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 long set up. looking to grow plants but plan to focus on low light. I only have about 1.5 inches of gravel in the tank.

Is it important to add more gravel - maybe to get closer to 3 inches?

If not gravel, is there something else I should mix in to supplement the gravel?

Thanks in advance
rk

Well if it's planted you'll need deeper gravel and i think a type of soil for nutrients

I've got about 2 in of gravel in my 29 gal tank with nothing underneath. My tank is moderately planted and is doing great! For fertilizer, I use DIY Osmocote+ root tabs monthly and a liquid fertilizer once or twice a week. I also dose 15 mL of Metricide 14 (Carbon source) daily before the lights come on.

For a low light, you'll need to add root tabs for your root feeders and some liquid ferts (or PPS Pro) for the plants that get their nutrients from the water column. Not sure how much Metricide you'd need.

But to answer the original question, add another 1/2 in of gravel and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1.5 inches is ok but I usually add more to keep the plants down. I would not go and get expensive ferts like PPS Pro for only low light plants. Small doses of of excel or flourish should be enough for most. You will need root tabs for plants like crypts or swords. You do not need special substrate for low light but you can get it if you want as a supplement. I find sand a lot easier to plant so if you are going to add more substrate, I would go with sand. It is easier to clean as well.

Back
Top Bottom