Question regarding bubble coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a bubble coral - white, with flourescent green tint . I've placed it mid height in my 46gallon under ~200W of PC lighting. It expanded right away and seems pretty happy, but I have a couple questions.

1. They say to place in "medium" flow, but I just hate those relative terms. What might be medium to me might be low to others. I'm guessing you don't want the bubbles getting beat around too much - that's probably be too much flow. But is some gentle movement of the bubbles OK?

Seems like with how thin they are, they're going to move with the smallest of flow... I just don't know how much. I'm guessing if they're not expanding fully, then it's too much flow?

2. Regarding the expansion of the polyps, do they kind of ebb and flow through the day? Seems like they get realllllllyyyy puffy, then decrease a little bit, then get puffy again. They don't contract fully like at night, but they just don't maintain the same size throughout the day. Is this normal? Is it their form of flushing water through their system? Or is it a sign of too much flow?

Thanks in advance!

I would say medium flow is them softly, slowly moving. Strong would be them swaying, soft would be hardly any movement.

I like Scott's definition. You want a little bit of movement, but not a whole lot. Too much can cause damage to the tissue, which can kill it. Medium current would be it swaying slightly in the water.

I notice my bubble coral swells up a little more during peak light times, but it never gets REALLY big. I'd say it's all normal. Likely increasing it's size so it can gain access to more food/light.

Congrats on the new coral. :)

Thanks!

Now that I think of it, it's probably too early to judge the "normal" size of the bubble since it's still probably acclimating to its new home. I bought it locally, so I know what it was used to and it's not much of a change, if any.

Good to hear that some movement is OK. I had to move one of my current paths as initially it was causing the bubbles to "flutter" which definitely looked like too much. After I calmed down the flow, and the lights went out, the tentacles just lightly swayed so I'm thinking I'm OK.

Any other advice so I don't have to learn things the hard way? (BTW... nice fragging how-to DevilishT. I've already bookmarked it in case mine ends up looking as nice as yours.)

I've got the same white/green bubble coral in my 46 gallon bowfront under 196w pc lights. The bubbles do best when they are gently moving with the current. They are very fragile so be careful if you handle it.

I agree that you need to let it fully acclimate and then make a judgement. it is going to take a few days. Here is a pic of mine which is about the size of a volleyball.

Attachments

• 100_0691_472.jpg
    100_0691_472.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 18
Here's a shot of the new addition...

DSC04995-1.JPG

You were right Melosu58... it just needed a day to settle down. This evening it was pretty constant with its size, and didn't fluctuate much. It's barely moving now in the flow, so I think it's happy!

I've had a bubble for about six months now and its pretty similiar to yours. Just know that they are very fragile. I had mine fall of a rock and land on my urchin one time. Most of the bubbles popped and it took about a month or so to even start to come backand open up again. Now it seems to be doing great with the flow of the bubbles moving in the current gently without a direct flow on them.

Back
Top Bottom