Question regarding sand....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than the fact that its about $44 for 50 lbs when you can get the same amount of Pool Filter Sand for $8.99. I guess not.

i was told by a drs foster and grant rep that it wasnt safe due to "chemicals" in the sand.. i was like.. ok.. well.. you realize you can boil sand... and remove those chemicals.... she was like.. i dont recommend it.. and i was like .... wtf lol

I personally dont see a reason it couldnt be used..

Chemicals???? Its additive free..... what chemicals???? Its friggin sand....

Apparently they make the sand in a nuclear factory now. :splat:

IMO i think it would be fine. I would just rinse well to make sure. Keep us updated though. I just got a great idea for a tank set up with red sand.

odd. i was going to say colorquatz but since its only a 10 gallon give it a shot.

I thought about getting a bag of lava rock from Home Depot and pounding it with a hammer till it was sand... Black or red, not sure which... also not sure if I really mean it when I say I will do that, lol..

I wouldnt use lava rock... it does haver chemicals in it.. get the stuff wet and see what happens to the water... usually more often than not.. it leaves a film of oil on the top... i havnt seen an way to remove that oil from the rock... good lcuk on that.. (some lava rock is ok to use.. most however are not)

I currently use it in one of my canister chambers as biomedia, and I have yet to see a problem.

Back
Top Bottom