Questioning my fishless cycle currently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Your ammonia converting bacteria colony is super high right now and your nitrite eating bacteria hasn't caught up - only building your nitrites higher.

You could do a PWC to get it down to acceptable levels so you can read on the chart.

I wouldn't do more than dosing it to 4ppm once per day.

I agree with this completely. Well, almost. :) I wouldn't do any water changes. Doing water changes will remove some of the nitrite which will slow the growth of the nitrite eating colony. But, dosing more than once a day will cause the nitrites to be too high and may have a negative affect. I know you want to help it move faster but by dosing more than once a day you may be slowing things down. JMO. As has been said many many times, only bad things happen quickly. Give it the time it needs.

I don't do water changes during the cycle. It is hard enough sometimes getting enough water as is. I just startd cycling my 55 and not even planning on testing until a week has passed. I give it a dose of ammonia daily.

Ok so dose 4ppm once a day.

Nitrates are sky high too.

Thanks guys I'll keep everyone posted

That's prob where I'm at than :/

I'll post more results later

Last time I added ammonia was yesterday at 11am. Up to 3-4 ppm

Does this mean my cycle is done? I still don't get why my nitrates drop :confused:

Attachments

• image-2448289120.jpg
    image-2448289120.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 46
Looking good. I would say yes but.....I would dose one more time today and check it again tomorrow. If you get the same results you should be good to start slowly adding livestock. :)

Ok, one down side... :/

I'm going out of town again for the week :/

Dosing one more time is just a safe precaution right? So if I add live stock, it will be OK but it's a risk, correct?

Just a double check. I would not recomend adding any livestock just before going out of town. I would wait until you return to do that. Dose the ammonia up to 4 ppm just before you leave and everything will be fine while you are gone. Then, when you return test one more time, do a nice big water change and you will be good to go.

Ok sounds good. That's what I will do.

Thank you!

3-4 fish to start seems good?

I wouldn't recomend that many fish to start. I would not go with more than 2. Then give it a couple weeks for the bacteria to catch up. Slow and steady. :) I also have a 45 and I never added more than 2 fish at a given time. I have a total of 6 fish. I will add one more but that is maxed out. The only reason I will add the last one is because my tank is now well established.

Good point.

I'll have to come up with a long term stock list and see what fish would be best to put in first/last.

Thanks again!

You could add your whole stocking list if you wanted - you have built a very strong biological filter. However they need to establish territory and it would be very stressful on them.

yea i knew about the territory subject.

def want a mated pair of clowns so maybe them first

i still need to get a new pump for my skimmer and add more LR/algea to the sump, and pick up another timer

any suggestions on fish?

Back
Top Bottom