questions about changing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi9000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a 5.5 gal Top Fin aquarium for my betta and would like to change the power filter that came with it.

Am looking at the Aquaclear 20, mostly because it has adjustable flow and 3 stages of filtration.

Also- my fish started getting what I think is a bacterial infection (mystery white spots on fins) two weeks ago, right after I changed the carbon bag in the Top Fin. I'm guessing the two are related... the new bag had a mystery brown stain on it and in hindsight I probably should have ditched it.

Anyway, if I change to the Aquaclear 20 -- do I need to cycle the tank again? Or will the bacteria on the gravel and ornaments be enough?

In general, is there a procedure that should be followed when changing to a new filtration system?

Any advice is welcome - thank you!

p.s. I have been doing 100% w/c's for the past 5 days and adding salt to the water, trying to get rid of the mystery spots on the fish. It seems to have helped, so I want to make sure a whole new filter won't make things worse!

Can you fit the sponge/media from the old filter into your new filter somewhere? That would be my best suggestion.

Thanks, Mcor, for the reply! I couldn't fit two of the Top Fin filters into the chamber together, unfortunately. Not sure if a Top fin cartridge will fit into an Aquaclear one.

However, the current Top Fin cartridge is still fairly new and may not have any beneficial bacteria in it anyway.

Hm, what to do...

You could cut the Top Fin sponge to fit. It only needs to be touching the new filter sponge. Some bacteria is better than starting all over again....

I wouldn't worry about it bacteria grows everywhere its on the rocks sand or gravel,glass, where ever there should be more then enough to support your filter change.

Can you run both filters together for a few weeks? That would help seed the new filter

Back
Top Bottom