Questions about rays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strychix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know even the smallest rays (retic and hystrix) can be housed in a 125 gallon, but at what size should they be moved to a larger tank and what is their growth rate like?

I haven't spoken to my local provider of such fish, but is it likely that they will trade smaller specimens for larger ones if mine was outgrowing the tank? The LFS I'm thinking is in the rare fish kind of category in both saltwater and freshwater, and from what I've seen they enjoy novelties like a large ray would be without having to raise them themselves. Or otherwise, in your experience is there a market out there for larger rays that need to be rehomed?

This is assuming I can't get my grabby, hoarder hands on a bigger tank by the time it needs one. Which is kind of doubtful, I have more aquariums hanging around than I do fish it feels like.

Rehoming fish is in general very difficult...both sentimentally and to even find someone who has the space for a large fish...people with tanks big enough are generally people who keep their stock pretty well up...

Back
Top Bottom