questions on assasin snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read they burrow under sand.. is this not what trumpeter snails do also?
I was wondering, because since letting my plant cargo snails just do their thing, I have ramshorns, pondsnails, and some others, along with some trumpeters I added to sift sand. If I added like, 5 assasin snails (this is a 10 gal) would that be too many? And would they sift my sandbed in place of the trumpeters?
On a side note, my sandbed is less than an inch, and an inch at most, just in a corner, so they wouldn't need to sift much.
Also, what happens when I'm out of snails to feed them? They won't eat each other?
Thanks for any info, I just think there more appealing than what I'm currently infested with haha

I don't think you'll need 5 assassins for a 10 gallon. I'd just add a couple. They'll eat ramshorn, pond, and MTS snails and since your tank is small it won't take them long. They do burrow under the sand, but a sandbed that is an inch or less won't require sifting regardless. When they run out of snails to eat, they scavenge.

Assassin snails will eat mts, but they aren't likely to get all of those. I had dozens of them in a 10 for several months, and after they were all moved out the mts slowly reappeared.

Back
Top Bottom