Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devon_quinones

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just set this 75 gal fishtank up about 20 minutes ago but im thinking about an Oscar or 2...just wondering when I could put them in ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420157175.732060.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this your first tank?

The tank needs to cycle before you can just throw in fish. Cycles can take anywhere from 2 days to 4 weeks.
It doesn't appear that you have a heater and a thermometer in the tank, which oscars and most other fish will need.
Do you have a test kit either? You'll need that to test ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate which must be at the correct levels that are safe for your fish.

First though, to get the cycle started you should ask someone with an established tank to borrow a couple of their tank ornaments or a bag of their tank gravel which has beneficial bacteria living on it. Then put that in your tank to make bacteria start growing in your tank. After getting a test kit, you'll need to test the water and match the correct levels (the test kit should come with a chart) every couple of days. Once all of the levels are correct you can start adding fish.

I have a test kit and I took some gravel from my other tank and put it in and I'm going to buy a heater soon

So do I keep testing it till it spikes and drops back down?

Why is the filter on backwards, facing the wall? They are supposed to go on the back. Its sort of an eye sore on the front like that. Also, Oscars may seem cool in theory, but they get huge, are super messy, and you have to feed them live foods as they age. Many people get them and then return them to stores when they get bored, which is unfair. I would get some angels and some schooling fish and create an awesome community tank.

My bad, I didnt look at the pic enlarged. Scratch the comment on the filter, lol.

This is a great tank for an oscar. Just be sure to cycle it well and add in some decorations to help make it feel more comfortable. They tend to sulk and hide when you first get them

As to the comment on oscars needing live food later on, thats simply not true. They are practically garbage disposals and have no problems eating just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom