Quick cure ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Be had a clown loach covered in ich for the last week it was the only fish with it I went and bought quick cure and today was the fourth day to dose it. My loach died this morning. I'm thinking about changing 50% of the water tonight and dosing for 4 more days . Is this what I should do or should I be good to just carry on like usual now. I keep my tank at 82 all the time so idk help me out this is the first sickness I've ever dealt with

Ich shouldn't kill fish unless its in the gills, it's very infected or it contracts an infection in all the wounds left behind. IMO it was most likely the medication what ultimately killed him. I would do a couple of 50% water changes and add some carbon. Increase the temp to 86-88F and increase aeration. If no other fish are showing signs leave it up for a week. If others are still infected leave it up for one week AFTER the last spot is seen.

What are you talking about? Ich does kill fish. I don't where you got that crazy idea that ich doesn't kill fish. Quick cure works. Why not give fish medicine? We'd all be dying if we didn't have some kind of medicine. If a person can take medicine why can't fish? Quick cure is safe in my opinion. It works better than most options in my opinion.

I didn't say it doesn't kill fish, I said, it SHOULDN'T kill them. Of course if a fish is badly infected it can die. I don't see the point exposing fish to a chemical when there are less invasive, natural ways of eradicating ich. If you want to compare ich mediation to anything it would be an insecticide, not a medicine.

Well this loach was covered really really bad but like I said he was the only fish infected except for a betta and it only had one dot on its fin and I moved it to a seperate tank

Quite a lot of these ich 'medications' are harsh chemicals that can stress an already stressed/rundown fish. That combined with the fact that this was a scaleless fish leads me to believe it was a contributing factor. Anyway, the OP has already used the Quickcure and the fish has passed on so let's help her make sure the remaining fish are ich free.

Well I am treating the betta in the seperate tank as well as the other tank with the clown loaches. But the clown loach tank is what I'm gonna do a water change in tonight... And if I raise the temp I do it a few degrees at a time ad if I use my only gravel vac and buckets how do I clean it to not transfer te ich to my other tank

A degree or two ever hour is fine. If you use your gravel vac letting it completely dry out in the sun will kill the ich or you can use hot water and bleach to rinse it making sure to thoroughly rinse with dechlorinated water afterwards.

So raise the temp do a 50% water change and that's it or should I go ahead and keep dosing the quick cure for another 4 days

All I've done is dose the quick cure for 4 days that's about it

I agree with Mummy.of.two as well. I kept temps high for 10 days after the last sign just to be safe. No salt no meds. Just high temps. This article taught me a lot about ICH and has a lot of great information. The high temps are just speeding up the life cycle and higher temps are preventing it from reproducing (at least that is what I remember). Give it a read pretty interesting.

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Good Luck!

Ok so I changed a good bit of water rinsed all my buckets and vac with hot hot bleach water turned up the temp on my tank and left the water a little low to give a little more surface agitation

So from last night when I turned up the temps and did the water change how long should I leave the temps up 10 days

Back
Top Bottom