Quick one about RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all :)

i have in my tank (or should have) 8 RCS. however over the last week or 2 it seems as if their numbers have dropped. i can still see one or 2 but not in the place that i believed to be their "home" in my tank. we do have a betta but we havent seen him eat any, i realise that doesnt mean he hasnt but we keep a close eye on his stomach to make sure we arent over feeding or anything and to make sure hes not getting constipated, so as far as we can tell he hasnt eaten any. also whenevr the RCS have been out he swims past them and doesnt pay them any attention. i also havent seen any dead shrimp around in the tank either. ideas anyone? might they be breeding and hiding because of their eggs? if so does anyone know how long that takes? or may they just be hidden under my bogwood and not coming out? i have read that they should be relativly active which is what has propmted me to ask on the forums.

10gal long tank
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrites
somewhere between 20-80ppm of nitrates (the colour difference between 20, 40, 80 etc is very little so its hard to tell, also my tap water has high nitrates to start anyway)
7.4-8ph (again not an easy colour chart to read)

When I bought 20 RCS from Jeta, I could hardly find 10 while my neon tetras were out. But after removing my neon tetras, I now see over 30-40. It could be possible they are just hiding.

Also, I hear RCS are very sensitive. So try to add much plants as possible to absorb the nitrates.

Gingimaru said:
Hi all :)

i have in my tank (or should have) 8 RCS. however over the last week or 2 it seems as if their numbers have dropped. i can still see one or 2 but not in the place that i believed to be their "home" in my tank. we do have a betta but we havent seen him eat any, i realise that doesnt mean he hasnt but we keep a close eye on his stomach to make sure we arent over feeding or anything and to make sure hes not getting constipated, so as far as we can tell he hasnt eaten any. also whenevr the RCS have been out he swims past them and doesnt pay them any attention. i also havent seen any dead shrimp around in the tank either. ideas anyone? might they be breeding and hiding because of their eggs? if so does anyone know how long that takes? or may they just be hidden under my bogwood and not coming out? i have read that they should be relativly active which is what has propmted me to ask on the forums.

10gal long tank
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrites
somewhere between 20-80ppm of nitrates (the colour difference between 20, 40, 80 etc is very little so its hard to tell, also my tap water has high nitrates to start anyway)
7.4-8ph (again not an easy colour chart to read)

Two things.

1: no doubt about it -- your betta will eat RCS in a heartbeat.

2: Shrimp are sensitive to high nitrates. Keep plants to keep the trates down and mix your water with spring water to keep them down further.

I'm amazed two are alive to be honest :eek:

As stated before, high nitrates will kill dwarf shrimp. RCS are hardy, but they should not be kept in tanks with nitrates higher than 20, max. What's the stock for the tank? Also, shrimp will feel less comfortable when there are predators present. Honestly, bettas and dwarf shrimp are really never a good combo. I've heard of stories where their bettas seem fine for a week or so, then decides to take out every single RCS in the tank. If you really want shrimp in the tank, try ghost shrimp. Ive has ghost shrimp with bettas and they are fine because of their larger size. Is the tank planted? Also try getting some floating plants if you can't get your nitrates down, ( dwarf water lettuce, duckweed, red root floater, salvinia, and frogbit are all great choices) duckweed is the most potent at sucking out nitrates and such, but it can be very annoying because of its small size and fast reproductive rate. It can double in 48 hours.

Austin.b said:
As stated before, high nitrates will kill dwarf shrimp. RCS are hardy, but they should not be kept in tanks with nitrates higher than 20, max. What's the stock for the tank? Also, shrimp will feel less comfortable when there are predators present. Honestly, bettas and dwarf shrimp are really never a good combo. I've heard of stories where their bettas seem fine for a week or so, then decides to take out every single RCS in the tank. If you really want shrimp in the tank, try ghost shrimp. Ive has ghost shrimp with bettas and they are fine because of their larger size. Is the tank planted? Also try getting some floating plants if you can't get your nitrates down, ( dwarf water lettuce, duckweed, red root floater, salvinia, and frogbit are all great choices) duckweed is the most potent at sucking out nitrates and such, but it can be very annoying because of its small size and fast reproductive rate. It can double in 48 hours.

Very detailed and well structured response.

I agree with everything.

Some say bettas can be with ghost shrimp because they're clear too lol.

as far as i can tell at the moment at least 6 out of the 8 RCS are alive in the tank, at least one of which is carrying babies. The betta honestly doesnt bother with the shrimp at all. the RCS are usually hidden so he never sees them anyway and when he does they move away from him. and our amano shrimp are too big for him so all that happens is every now and then he may chase one of the amanos for a few seconds.

my tank is planted but i can look at getting some duckweed to aid in nitrate absorbstion.

stock in the tank is:
Male Betta
Male and Female Golden Apple Snail
Roughly 8x RCS
4x amano shrimp

unintended inhabitents:
1 or 2 little snails (we think ramshorn) that will be removed

Gingimaru said:
as far as i can tell at the moment at least 6 out of the 8 RCS are alive in the tank, at least one of which is carrying babies. The betta honestly doesnt bother with the shrimp at all. the RCS are usually hidden so he never sees them anyway and when he does they move away from him. and our amano shrimp are too big for him so all that happens is every now and then he may chase one of the amanos for a few seconds.

my tank is planted but i can look at getting some duckweed to aid in nitrate absorbstion.

stock in the tank is:
Male Betta
Male and Female Golden Apple Snail
Roughly 8x RCS
4x amano shrimp

unintended inhabitents:
1 or 2 little snails (we think ramshorn) that will be removed

Ramshorn snails are good for your tank..

both my bettas live in tanks with ghost in one and red cherries in the other and they neither one bother with the shrimp. i got lucky. but i dont see all my red cherries all the time either. they like to hide:) good luck with your babies:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom