Quick Question about Nitrate levels-Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Jut did a 30% water change yesterday and then tested my water and my amonia levels show nothing, but my nitrate is like at about 20, all other levels good. Thought maybe I tested wrong so did it again about 1/2 hour ago, amonia, ph and nitrite are good but nitrate is still around 20 which seems high to me. Should I do another water change?

Levels approaching 40 are toxic...you can wait a day or two for a water change if you want but I like to keep my under 20 for sure.

I am doing a 30% water change right now, do I test right after or wait?

I'd wait an hour or two after a pwc to run another test.

Depending on your stock, most fish have no problems with 20ppm Nitrates. There are some that are more senstive than others (Discus, Otos), but most are fine. My goal is to keep my API test in the orange (10-20ppm). If I start to see a hint of red, it's time for a pwc. Normally, a 40% weekly pwc keeps me at 20ppm or less.

what does your tap test at? set out a bowl of water and let it sit overnight and test your nitrates. could be they are in your tap...

Back
Top Bottom