Quick question about powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
Later on in a few months I would like to have some coral but in the mean time, my white goby sifts through sand all day leaving it floating in the water making it settle on the rocks. His home rock is COVERED in sand hahah so question, will a powerhead solve this? By solve I mean prevent the sand from settling on the rocks?

well, it would probably help, but you would have to aim it correctly so as to not stir up the sand even more. go for Koralia powerheads if possible. they are the best.

Hi there, unfortunately thats the goby way. Some people dislike the sand issues so much they rehome the fish. it's up to you. Some flow might help but he'll still sift...

You're going to need powerheads eventually if you want corals, so might as well get them now. They may stir up the sand a bit at first, but your bed will eventually settle to where the PHs push it. It's best to have at least 2 situated on opposite sides of the tank aiming upwards for the same spot on the front-center glass (1 PH closer to the surface and the other about 1/2-2/3 of the way up).

And to answer your question, it will help keep a lot of the sand off the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom