Quick question on cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deeks14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About to start cycling a new tank. I plan to keep live plants and fish. Do I have to wait till it's cycles before adding plants as well as fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I can't speak to the question about plants, but for the fish - unless you plan to do a fish-in cycle you have to wait.

If you are going to do a fish in cycle, make sure you get hardy fish (that you plan to keep anyways - don't get some just cycle.) Then keep an eagle eye on you ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Read up on cycling so you know what to expect. You'll have to do a lot of water changes (daily) to keep the ammonia and nitrites at a safe level.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't speak to the question about plants, but for the fish - unless you plan to do a fish-in cycle you have to wait.

If you are going to do a fish in cycle, make sure you get hardy fish (that you plan to keep anyways - don't get some just cycle.) Then keep an eagle eye on you ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Read up on cycling so you know what to expect. You'll have to do a lot of water changes (daily) to keep the ammonia and nitrites at a safe level.

+1

I'm 90% sure you can put your plants in now. You might want to check or just wait for someone more experienced to come and help

The plants love ammonia so stock away :) just be sure to add a pinch of fish food every 2 to 3 days to keep levels of nutrients up for the bb.

Thanks all

Tank Cycling

About to start cycling a new tank. I plan to keep live plants and fish. Do I have to wait till it's cycles before adding plants as well as fish?

Hello Deek...

I wouldn't wait an minute longer. Get some activity in the tank, today! Danios are a good choice. I keep a lot of Rosey or some call them Pearl Danios. Nice, hardy fish that easily tolerate a little less than optimum water conditions, like what you have in the tank during the nitrogen cycle.

You can stock 3 to 4 of these fish in every 10 gallons of water to get a steady source of ammonia. Test the tank water daily. When you have a positive test for either ammonia or nitrite, remove a quarter of the water and replace it with treated tap water. At the end of a month or so, you get several daily tests with no traces of the above toxins. The tank is cycled.

Floating plants are very helpful during the cycle. Hornwort is a favorite. Just drop some individual stems of it into the tank. No planting is needed. It will help maintain a bit better water chemistry.

Have fun!

B

Excellent tank is running. Now I'll start adding tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom